Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krazyaroider

Looking for source of Magnolia grandiflora '24 Below'

krazyaroider
16 years ago

Hello ~

I am looking for this cultivar.

I am waiting for responses from Beaver Creek Nursery, Arrowhead Alpines.

I am wondering if anyone has/knows of seed producing '24 Below' or knows of a small local nursery that may have some in stock. I am thinking of those nurseries that so small that they do not have mail order - we can work out the details if you know of one and you would like to help me find '24 Below'.

Thanks,

Gerry

Hamburg, NY 14075

Comments (17)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I'm not sure why this is on the Tennessee Forum. See the following link to the same message posted on the Trees Forum for any responses:
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg1009493919472.html?8

Here is a link that might be useful: Post on Tree Forum

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

brandon7 ~ this is why this is on the Tennessee Forum.
    The original tree is from the Knoxville garden of Dr. Frank Galyon and it has been propagated. I am positive that it could found locally or statewide in TN. That is why I posted on the Tennessee and Trees Forums. I am quite interested in acquiring this form of Magnolia grandiflora.

I hope this cleared up your "confusion" as I check both forums for responses.
    Plus people may post and read ONLY the Tennessee forum OR the Trees forum so I can reach both audiences.
    Hope this answers your question...

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Well -- ya taught me something new today.

It seems Frank Galyon is a big deal in magnolia breeding, possibly also daffodil and iris breeding (I didn't search long enough to really establish these two). And right here in Knoxville!

We ought to ask him to talk at a swap. :-)

But don't assume that the plant you're looking for is available around here. After all, its claim to fame is its cold hardiness -- which we don't have much call for in TN.

OTOH, there is at least one very knowledgeable rare woody collector here on the forum occasionally, who lives in this area -- Mark, aka plantcollector -- and he may know where to look for rare magnolias. I don't have his email handy, but you can run a GW search on his user name.

Good luck in your search!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

BTW --

McCracken Nursery in NC had it in their 2004 list. Not in their 2006 list, but they may know where to get it. Check their web site for contact info.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Amazindirt, Dr. Galyon passed away earlier this year. He hybridized magnolias, daylilies, iris, camellias, and daffodils.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Darn, we just missed him!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

BTW, Gerry, are you by any chance of the Magnolia Yahoo group? I am, and if you would like, I could request leads from that group. All the big names in Magnolias are on there regularly.

Let me know if you already have access to the group or if you want me to post a request to our group.

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

brandon ~
    I did not know of the Magnolia Yahoo group. I would appreciate it if you could post that for me - Thank you

amazindirt ~
    "But don't assume that the plant you're looking for is available around here. After all, its claim to fame is its cold hardiness -- which we don't have much call for in TN"

- in 1985 the record low was -24 and the tree survived this temp and that is why I am interested in this clone...

I will check out and contact McCracken Nursery and Mark AKA plant collector...

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

'k Gerry, I posted a plea for ya.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I've located a source and am making arrangements for you to contact them. I will email you privately as soon as I get the details. With Gardenweb's poor email forwarding reliability, you may want to email me if you don't hear from me within a couple of days.

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

brandon ~ I just heard from Brenda of Beaver Creek Nursery in Knoxville. I placed an order for 2 two gallon '24 Below' that are respectively 18" and 2' tall. I really appreciate your efforts and willingness to " go out on a limb" for my efforts to locate this cultivar.
    I already have Edith Bogue & Bracken' s Brown Beauty from Forest Farm. Pocano from Rarefind Nursery and an unnamed M. grandiflora cultivar sent from Appalachian Gardens (Waynesboro, PA - now Wholesale only) sent in error for M. macrophylla that is about 4' tall and growing well.
    Please forward the source that you located.

Thanks ~ Gerry

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

Apparently grandiflora is being grown with success in Cincinnati and I have read of potential success in New York City. Apparently Little Gem has been displaying good cold hardiness thus far. It is interesting to note that a cultivar produced in Knoxville is rather unknown in its place of origin. Is this a highly sought after cultivar for northern growers seeking to push the limits of grandiflora? It is also interesting to note that a large proportion of grandifloras apparently survived the 1985 winter here in Knoxville, as evidenced by massive specimens throughout the Knoxville area. Could grandiflora be hardier overall than it has previously been given credit?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Myrtleoak, the hardiness of M. grandiflora is fairly well understood. Afterall people have had quite a few years to study this fairly common species. Plants with unknown hardiness ratings are usually very uncommon species, newly discovered species, or species that seem to have a wide variation in hardiness among the species.

The cutlivar '24 Below' is not (obvious from this thread) extremely popular but is present in a lot of the literature. The reason it is thought to be slightly more cold hardy is because it survived that cold spell as a baby. Large well established trees are able to take a LOT more cold than small seedlings.

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

I was fairly young in 1985. Does anyone remember any of the aftermath from a horticultural standpoint? What survived that was surprising and what bit the dust unexpectedly?

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Gerry, you found a great tree source here in Knoxville with Beaver Creek nursery! I have no affiliation with them, but we have called on them many times for questions and sources for hard to find trees, especially conifers and have sent many folks their way also.

My husband and I were fortunate to have known Dr. Galyon for several years before he passed. It became an annual spring passage to visit his place when the magnolias and daffodils were in bloom. I have linked to a webshots album of his place the last time we visited in March 2005. He was a wonderful person and is greatly missed.

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: Frank Galyon

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I recieved my Magnolia grandiflora '24 Below' from Beaver Creek Nursery on Thursday, November 8. The trees are beautiful, but due to the approach of winter, I shall overwinter in a safe place and plant in spring.
    I recommend those of you fortunate to be able to drive there to go and check Beaver Creek Nursery for your gardening needs.

Thanks to all with my efforts in locating M.g. '24 Below' and I shall give updates on my Southern Magnolia' s growth in the future here in the Buffalo, NY area.

~ Gerry

• viper114
    5 months ago

Anybody know a current source for 24 below magnolia? I checked beaver creek website i dont see it?

Sponsored