Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinl_gw

Palm Trees in Tennessee

austinl
19 years ago

The other thread is full. I think this is the 3rd thread that we've had to open! 300 responses is great. Let's continue the discussion.

Comments (151)

• the_virginian
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How big are your Washingtonias? Do you think they will always need protection?

• abercrombie4me03
    18 years ago

sorry been really busy lately havent had much time to do nothing my washingtonia's one is pretty good size lets see when I brought him back from florida he was about a 10 gallon now id say 15-20 gallon grew alot over the summer the other is maybe a 10 now the 15-20 gallon is proabably about 5 feet tall the 10 is 3 feet they havent taken the cold so far very well im shocked and when i say cold i mean COLD!! for early dec i doubt it but maybe dec is making up for jan and jan will make up march lol who knows yikes!! but they are all doing fine and my elephant ears havent even curled up yet suprisingly wierd!! well thought id drop in a message better get in bed so i can get what little sleep i have left thanks Daniel

• abercrombie4me03
    18 years ago

Ive actually got pictures If you'd like to see them they arent the best quality because they were taken really quick today with my cell phone and sent to my email adress if you would like me to send you some

• abercrombie4me03
    18 years ago

Errrr My washingtonia's did not like the ice and the lows last night droped to 16 but I made sure I had them wraped up in some old sheets and all the foliage got toasted really good so I cut back all the burnt back and threw a trash can over the big one and my little one looks allright too but a little burnt foliage as well hmmm I fear jan brrrr cause it is cold!! San Antonio has alot of washingtonia's around everywhere and temps droped down to around 20 there wonder how they are holding out that is extreme for south texas my orinoco banana is doing just fine just burnt limbs but its still got a thick healthy core all around which im guessing is good CANT WAIT till spring

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

My palms are doing well and on a trip to see how the Washington, DC Trachys, Needles and Sabals were doing, we found newly sprouted Sabal Minors pushing through the snow cover in the beds and growing like weeds. I managed to save a few from the spring weed and mulch crew that would pull them out. I put them in pots to overwinter in the house and they will be planted next spring. Sabal Minor takes a few years to get going, but a naturalized strain from my area will be worth the wait. Sabal Minor District of Columbia anyone?

• smalljaw
    18 years ago

Has anyone had 'Bulgaria' go down below -15 yet ? Trachys and Rhaps here for a while , several Agave's . Daniel Stowe Botanic Gardens is the bizomb . Obie one Rurhen . Worth the trip ouside Charlotte .

• intimidator_3
    18 years ago

I have a Trachy 'Bulgaria' thats about to go through its second winter. Havent seen many days around here for a long time that went to -15(luckily). So far everything is still unprotected, and the only damage that I have seen is a little foliage burn on the Livistona Chinensis.

We did get to bring back a nice Pindo and Palmetto from True Blue Nursery in Myrtle Beach last month. They will go in the ground in spring.

Doug

• smalljaw
    18 years ago

That is good . I am outside Nashville where it is normally 10-15* cooler than in town and the coldest it has been here in the last few is negative four . No worries . Ken outside Columbia has a nice swath of Rhap.. It is actually 5 total . There is a cool place in Hermitage doing lotsa zone pushing . They have a number 3 plate on the front of their golf cart . Kurt Busch is the new Jeff Gordon , gross .

• abercrombie4me03
    18 years ago

No Way!! It hasnt been below 0 even 10 in the last few years in nashville and below 0 since are all time record low back in 1985 and trust me I wont be around here if temps ever droped below 0 Miami baby!! haha no way Winter Blues is allready setting in and todays the first day of winter I think my washingtonia's will be allright they are trimmed back and my sago's have little burn but are fine even unprotected so far they handle cold tollerably VERY HARDY! they are said to be hardy to 20 degrees I would say 0-5 degrees because its been 16 for the coldest so far yuck!

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

Sounds like a serious case of Zone denial. I have a terminal case.

• smalljaw
    18 years ago

What are you serious . It was 7 last year in Mt. Juliet and Fairview and that was warm . I find as much as a 15* difference between town and here and that is only 12 miles . Four ( maybe 5 ) years ago it was -4 here . It was ten a week or so ago . Oh yeah , big time zonal denial . I am the zone pusher , coo coo cachew .

• EastTenn
    18 years ago

Hello. I am new to the forum . I live in Kingsport (Tri-Cities , Sullivan county) and have been growing Chinese Windmills for two years with very little protection . I cover them when it gets below 30 deg. This forum started my interest in palm trees . Thanks !

• mountain_grown
    18 years ago

2003 after severe winter with below zero temps :
    {{gwi:1291473}}
    and
    2005 update:
    {{gwi:1291474}}
    The palm on the right is higher than the roof of the house currently (winter 2006) and the house sits on a 3 foot foundation. Its certainly growing very fast.
    ALso, the palm on the right was planted as a 5 gallon potted plant and the one on the left was a 3 foot trunked transplant from Louisiana , the potted plant has quadtripled in growth faster than the transplant. Dont be afraid to start with potted speciemens , just give them a good microclimate if you live in z6b/7 Tennessee.
    Here is a Florida Sable Palmetto ( the state tree ) aka Cabbage Palm :
    {{gwi:1291475}}
    That Palmetto was a tranplant. When transplanting them you must hurricane cut ( remove all the fronds ) to get the palm growing again. They have a very delicate habit of re-growth after transplanting and great care must be used with the rootball if the palm is to survive. Luckily , this palm was harvested a few years ago and sat in a pot and regrew its fronds and the root system recovered , so the transplant was very easy. This palm was planted on easter 2005 and looks the same today.
    Here are potted 5 gallon sabal palmettos that after 5 years growth have now started trunking in z6b/7 Tennessee :
    {{gwi:1291477}}

• bob6b7a
    18 years ago

Wow! Great looking palms! I live in tri-cities TN zone 6b/7a and I have 2 windmill, needles, and sabel louisiana and sabal birmingham. I am now feeling confident I can get 2 sabal palmettos this spring with a good chance of survival. Please send more pictures and also cold protection methods for your palms. Where are you at in Tennessee? Thanks!

• mountain_grown
    18 years ago

Thanks Bob(?)
    My name is Rob and I live north of Cookeville and Monterey exits off of I-40 on the cumberland plateau in Livingston.
    Our climates are similar but we have more harsh winters than you do. You have a good , very good chance of several palms in your area. All it takes is a little protection on those severe winter night 'events' and in your case..we are talking ...maybe 3 or 4 nights per year.
    I have family in the Kingsport area and my sister is a teacher in Bristol and lives in Kingsport.
    I know your area fairly well. Im coming to a family gathering around the first weekend in march and if we can connect , I'll bring you some tough sable minor plateau seeds from very hardy Texas-Eco Type sable minor.
    After seeing your post , I visited your web photos.
    They are very nice indeed. Your plants will really start to grow this upcoming season ! You can count on that.
    I have 3 large windmills . The protection they receive in winter isnt much. I mulch heavily around the trunk base to an outer ring of about 2 feet. The mulch is about a foot in depth. I mulch usually after the first hardcore cold spell ..normally early November or maybe a little later.
    I mulch AFTER I have strung mini christmas lights from the base (ground level) of the trunk..all the way to the spear.
    The spear is the unopened frond coming up from the top of the trunk. Any left overs are snugged against the spear.
    A 100 lite string will cover two feet of foot of trunk very heavily and I use 400 lights on my biggest tree.
    I only turn on the lights when its 15* or colder.
    Not very often and Valentines day is about the end of very low temps here. One other thing that is very , very important so the palm wont die or decline is the COVERING of the growth spear . Take a plastic garbage bag and cover the spear before rains and snow and ice fall.
    I say rain because here in the mountains , after a winter rain , the skies clear and the temps drop quick. Any water , ice or snow that drains in the bud/spear may freeze and cause damage and this causes a fungus that will destroy thr spear. The spear is the living start of the palm. They can pull out after damage and this may put the palm in decline , taking months for it to recover ..if at all.
    Keep that spear covered. You can take a hand towel and wrap it around the spear and then cover it with a walmart baggie or if its a big palm , a garbage bag. This really helps to protect that spear during an EVENT. You would remove all this during regular dry weather .
    I have never had a spear to pull out , In my climate I guess Im lucky. During severe freezes , record breakers , You could take a blanket and wrap around the trunk for warmth should it ever happen. you never know what mother nature could unlease. But as I stated , your protection nights are few but KEEP THAT SPEAR COVERED during moisture falling.
    I have palmettoes that do not have heat , just mulch and a plastic tarp during ice and snow events, That have done great. You will have damaged and burnt fronds from winter cold but they will regrow in the new season. Should it get real bad , your palm could defoliate ( all the fronds may burn and die ) the palm will grow more in the spring.
    Even a tarp will not stop this with temps below zero or long periods at temps near this ) Its hard to keep the fronds looking good because the only protection you could have for them would be a plastic covering .
    Yuccas are hardy and beautiful and a few trunking yuccas are native here, The are great palm imposters that need no protection for a tropical look. Yucca Gloriosa and Yucca Recurvafolia {{gwi:1050241}}are two very tough and trunking yuccas for your area with no protection. The desert yuccas ( Elata {{gwi:1291478}}and Rostrada {{gwi:1291479}} can survive here if planted on sandy mounds or berms . They can take the cold but not the winter moisture. The mounds or berms drain off the winter water and snow.
    The desert trunking yuccas are the most beautiful and talking about palm imposters that dont need protection , MUSA BASJOO , Japanese fiber banana {{gwi:1291480}}is a great tropical banana for our region , no protection required but mulch is advised for the first few years.
    Please email me if you ever have any questions , Id be glad to help.
    Im currently out of the USA on a job related matter but will be back IN PERSON by the end of FEB. LOL
    z7palms@yahoo.com

• mountain_grown
    18 years ago

Bob , I forgot to mention ,
    you should visit this palm message forum .
    Its been around for many many years and there are people from your area that post there. I think you will learn a lot from visiting there and dont be afraid to introduce yourself and ask questions.
    the link :
    http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/index.html

• lovethosepalms
    18 years ago

going to bump this up because I love reading all your post on Palms in Ten.

• tennesseestorm
    18 years ago

I had totally forgot about this site. I am glad someone on another site mentioned it. I noticed on a few posts up (mountain grown) has palms. Very interesting. I did not realize that anyone here had actually planted any in the region. Too bad more are not planted out in the urban areas where they can be seen by more people. Anyway, I also live in northeast Tennessee (in the Tri-Cities metro) and have been doing a lot of research on what types of palms will grow in this area. I am in Bristol - which is zone 6B, but I noticed that Kingsport and western Sullivan county is zone 7A. From what I have read here, seems like some have had good luck with palms here. I want a palm TREE - I want something that will grow a nice trunk. Needle palms have been recommended my so many, but it looks more like a bush to me in photos I have seen, but I may get one of those as well. I was thinking of perhaps a sabal Birmingham, but I cannot find one for sale. So, can anyone else here in northeast Tennessee make any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

• buckn21
    18 years ago

Plant delights sells sabal Birmingham and about 5-6 other palms. Here is there web site.

http://www.plantdelights.com/

Here a link to the Southeastern Palm Society:

http://www.sepalms.org/

I live in Athens TN 7a, Here is link to my webpage, I have about 1500 pictures of my garden, gardens I have toured, and Palms growning here in SE TN.

http://community.webshots.com/user/buckn21

Good luck.

Will T

• bob6b7a
    18 years ago

HI, TS

Just a quick message to let you know that I also live in Tri-Cities TN. I live near the Bristol Motor Speedway. I have 2 Windmill palms that I planted in ground 2 years ago. They are growing very well. But our winters the last 2 years have not truly been as brutal to determine if they can be surviving in the long-haul. The 2 best bets are the needle and s.birmingham. They take very long to trunk. If you want "instant" palm tree, the sabal palmetto "hurricane cut" and windmill palm would be your best bets. They both would require great siting and very good winter protection to survive. The windmill is available on e-bay, and even occassionally at Lowe's/Home Depot and even saw some at Evergreens last summer. The sabal palmetto, and windmill too for that matter, can be found @ Randy's nursery outside of Atlanta. There are also a few other palm enthusiasts who post on this board and others. Let me know if I can help. I sure did learn a lot from others in the area and on the boards. Good luck growing!

• tennesseestorm
    18 years ago

Thanks Bob. Small world, as I only live about 5 miles from Bristol Motor Speedway as well. Great news about the windmill palms. I was going to get one of those, but I was very hesitant. You are right- our past few winters have been mild. I like the idea however of placing Christmas lights around a palm tree when very cold weather is forecasted. Someone in Chattanooga on one of these sites had did this on one of the less hardy palms. Seems like a good idea.

Anyway, today I ended up going with a sabal birmingham. I ordered it from Plant Delights nursery out of North Carolina, but I also had to order other items, as it is a $35. minimum order + $18. shipping. I ended up getting a couple of yuccas (Spanish bayonet and beaked blue yucca). I have yuccas, but I do not think they are either of these species. Also today, I just purchased a spanish dagger yucca off of e-bay.

Now, not to change the tree subject, but now I am considering going out on a limb and plant a southern live oak. My father says it will not survive, but I am going to give it a whirl. It is zoned as low as 7A. We seem to be right on the border according to this map:
    http://www.sepalms.org/Climate/TN%20Zone%20Map%20Jeff%20Stevens.pdf
    Kingsport seems to be in zone 7A, but I do not think it would make much of a difference. After I get my palms planted and the live oaks, I am through planting for a while. I also just planted 8 loblolly pines and one longleaf pine.

I also soon want to go ahead and give the needle palm a while and maybe even the windmill palm. You have me wanting to try one of those now. About how large are they now? I will look around at Lowe's and Home Depot and check out what they have.

Thanks again for the info!

• rwaruszewski_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

Hi, TS

To answer your question about my windmill palms, they both stand around 3 to 4 foot tall with about a foot and a half of trunk. I planted them in early April 2004. They haven't grown a whole lot yet, but the old saying goes first year they sleep, second year they creep and the third year they leap. So, this being their third year I'm looking forward to their "leep". Good luck with your sabal birmingham, I just got some from Plants Delight, too. Rather small but I think they'll be long-term here in our area.

• tennesseestorm
    18 years ago

That good news. Sounds like they are doing great. So, did you just buy sabal birmingham from Plants Delight, or did you buy something else? They also had a couple of palms I was considering, but I thought I would just go for the sabal birmingham for now and the yuccas.

I just wish I lived closer to the road where I could show-off my palms. I have yet to personally see any in the lawns around here. I do think that anyone here (except for us) knows that they will grow here. LOL. I think I will start telling people at work to start planting the hardy palms.

I am just hoping that my "southern live oak" venture works out. That one I am really concerned about. It is officially zone 7A and as you know, we are right on the border (Kingsport in 7A). The southern magnolia is also officially zoned 7A and we have one of those too and have had it for years. I think about 10 years if I recall and it has always done fine. I know some here in town that are at least 30 years old, so I know they survived the -21* (all-time record low in January of 1985), so I think they are never going anywhere, unless we break an all-time 21 year old record and I think it is unlikely, as average temperatures have "warmed" over the years. At least I am hoping that. :D

Not sure if the link will work, but here are some of my recent "tree" photos. The smaller trees are my loblolly pines and also photos of my longleaf pine and southern magnolia.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/e172/Tennesseestorm/Tree%20album/

Good luck again and thanks!

• rwaruszewski_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

HI, TS

I just received an order yesterday from Plants Delight which included 4 sabal birminghams and 2 needle palms. I believe those two should be long-term palms in our area. I'm not so confident about my windmill palms, washingtonia filiferas, or sabal palmettos just yet. These are going to require good winter protection to survive especially if we get an arctic blast some winter. I even picked up a butia capitata pindo palm @ Home Depot. That's really my "long-shot" palm but one that I'm willing to gamble on with heat cables around the root ball and "mummy-wrapping" from top-to-bottom for temps below 20 degrees. This is really only my third year into palms with next month being the time I plant most of the above. Only thing in the ground for 2 years are the windmill palms, s.louisianna and a needle palm. I have a pin-oak in the ground for 10 years now and looking great. Also 2 miniature versions of the southern magnolia that have been in the ground a few years and they too look great.

• tennesseestorm
    18 years ago

Sounds great. I ordered my tree and yuccas. They said since the weather has been so unusually cool, that they are going to wait for a week or so before they send them.

Hopefully this cold spell will pass soon.

• tennesseestorm
    18 years ago

Well, I received a confirmation that they are going to send them on 4/18, as they do not recommend planting them this early in the season, but I could have them earlier if I want. Whats even better, they said I could add on other items (without additional shipping), just let them know a week before shipout.

• tennesseestorm
    18 years ago

Bob. I was searching for other palm trees and came across this site:
    http://www.tytyga.com/palms-new/pg09-northernwindmill.html
    While most sites show the windmill palm 7-10, this one shows 6-10 on the heading, but below it shows zones 3-10. I am assuming that the "zone 3" is an error? I do not see these trees growing up there. Perhaps it is a different species?

• tennesseestorm
    18 years ago

Sorry for all of the posts -

Bob - what about this palm tree from Plant Delights-
    http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/06561.html
    I am thinking of giving it a whirl, or do you think this would be a bit to extreme for this area? It says that it has endured 0* temperatures on several occasions. I think if it looks like we may have an unusually cold spell after they are planted, I could try the Christmas light trick.

I have also decided to also go with a windmill palm. I hope I am as lucky with one as you have been.

Mine will be arriving in mid April. Can you provide any tips on planting? Such as how often should I water them and how deep should I plant? Thanks again!

• buckn21
    18 years ago

TNstorm,

I would NOT buy air in a jug from TY TY Nursery. I can not think of any one that can say anything good about them. MOst of the pictures with palms looks like it came from a modeling magazine and alot of the pictures dont match the palm labeled. They are the on the Garden Watch Dog list. It is just not worth the risk.

Will T

• john_trussville
    18 years ago

tennesseestorm,

If you want to waste your money, just flush it down the toilet or throw it out the window...but please don't send a penny of it to the crooks at TyTy. I don't know of any other nursery that has a worse reputation than these jokers. In the "Search" box at the top of this page, just type in "tyty" and read for yourself some of the horror stories of people who have done business with them. How they manage to stay in business is beyond me.

john
    Trussville, AL-7b

• abercrombie4me03
    18 years ago

Hi Id like to show you guys my pics of what is left over of my sago and my washintonia's after this past winter and what I can do to revive them and Also update on more pics of my Trachy fortunei But I do not know how to load my pics up on here thanks Daniel Ive tried everything

• intimidator_3
    18 years ago

Everything is kicking rear-end right now. The Trachys loved the zone 8 winter Knoxville got this year. The only palm that I am watching right now is a Pindo that I brought back from Myrtle Beach in November. Its not looking as cheerful as the rest of the Palms right now.

Doug

• intimidator_3
    18 years ago

Allright, let me update the Pindo. I just went out to look at it and the spear pulled on me. Any suggestions? Can it still be saved? There are still a lot of good looking healthy fans on it right now.

Doug

• lovethosepalms
    18 years ago

Doug,

I would suggest spraying it with copper fungicide, be sure to get the copper down in where the spear pulled out, then keep the crown dry as possible. I would cover it when it going to rain and only water at ground level.

Hope that helps.

• tennesseestorm
    18 years ago

Thanks John for the update on "TY-TY". Yeah, it looked shady to me.

To update, I ended up getting a Washingtonia (filifera?) from a local Home Depot a few weeks ago- that is still doing well. Tuesday, I purchased a Windmill pal, (Trachycarpus Fortunei) from Evergreen Gardens here locally. I planted it Tuesday evening. I had to pay $50. for it, so I hope it does well. It is about 3 ft. tall.

I have a sabal Birmingham on the way from PDN. I think it will do fine in this zone. The Washingtonia is the one that really concerns me. I will have to be careful with that one, if/when we have an unusually cold weather outbreak for the first couple of winters. Temperatures below 0* here are rare, but not totally unheard of. Average coldest low, which occurs in mid January is 25*. Warmest average high is 86* with occurs in July, but 95*+ is not unheard of. Last summer, our highest temperature reached 98*.

Thanks again.

• buckn21
    17 years ago

Just got back from Chicago, I hated to leave. Great city! Here some pictures I took. I took about 300..LOL! I have two albums one with sights I saw and one with Pictures from the Tribune Tower.
    Also have you seen where SPS is taking payments on line for dues/renewals and citrus booklets? Here is the link address:

http://www.sepalms.org/SPS_Purchase_Online.htm

Chicago link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/550764731VpKTjS

• nashvillejon
    17 years ago

Haven't been here in a while. Glad it is still going. Palms did great this winter, our lowest being 10F. The hail was a bummer in April, but everything has recovered! Palms are really taking off, and hopefully soon will have enough growth that I can cut off the hail tattered fronds.
    This is the first year I didn't protect these whatsoever:

• the_virginian
    17 years ago

Here in Northern Virginia we only had a low of 13F and only for a few hours, so our Zone 8a winter was great for the palms too. I am glad to see everyone else is having good luck in Tennessee which is a similar environment to mine.

• buckn21
    17 years ago

Southeastern Palm Society Meeting

Summer Meeting: Chattanooga & Athens, Tennessee

The Southeastern Palms Society summer meeting will be held in southeastern Tennessee. ("Tennessee, the Next Palmetto State", as local SPS members like to call it.)

The meeting will be held in Chattanooga and Athens, Tennessee, on Saturday, July 22, 2006, and will feature four fine palm and subtropical gardens.

Well begin at 10:30 am at Acme Engraving, 802 Hamilton Avenue, Chattanooga. Acme Engraving is the business of Tennessee SPS director David Cox, who has landscaped the highly-visible property with hardy and half-hardy palms, including a fruiting-sized jelly palm. Quite a display!

Well also hold a plant sale at that location, and encourage members to bring palms and other plants, both common and rare, for sale or trade.

The next stop is David and Trish Coxs home in nearby Hixson. Their palm trees and roses make their home the "standout" property on the street, and David claims the tallest Sabal palmetto in southeastern Tennessee. (The tree was given to David. Some people have all the luck!) Trish grows roses, and the couples gardening interests make an interesting and happy blend.

Directly on the way to our last stop is the Bonny Oaks Arboretum. In 2003 local SPS members and the Hamilton County Master Gardeners added a palm display to the arboretums plantings. Three seasons of growth are beginning to produce beautiful specimens.

Well end the day at Will Taylors garden in Athens, a 50 minute drive from Chattanooga. Will began his garden in 1996 and has packed it with a wide variety of hardy palms and lush plants. (His latest interest is hardy cactus.) As the garden has matured, its now normal for his house to disappear every summer behind layers of bananas, palms, live oaks and Tennessees largest Eucalyptus neglecta.

For lunch, at our first stop well take a head count and collect money for pizza orders (around $5 per person). The pizza will be delivered to our second stop. Drinks will be provided.

Were pleased to share this meeting with the Chattanooga Cactus and Succulent Society, with whom we share a number of local members.

As always, non-members are welcome and encouraged to attend.

See you there!

Directions to First Garden:

From Chattanooga and I-24, go north on US 27 through downtown and cross the Tennessee River. Take the Manning Street exit and turn right onto Manning Street. Go 0.7 miles to North Market Street and turn left. Go 0.6 miles and North Market swings right into Dallas Road. Go one block and turn left on Hamilton Avenue. Park just past the first building on the right.

First garden: Acme Engraving (10:30 am)

802 Hamilton Ave, Chattanooga, TN 37405-2108, US
    Second garden: Garden of David & Trish Cox

3245 Stage Run, Hixson, TN 37343-3349, US

Third garden: Bonny Oaks Arboretum

6183 Adamson Cir, Chattanooga, TN 37416-3648, US

Fourth garden: Garden of Will Taylor

214 Oak St, Athens, TN 37303-2565, US

• lovethosepalms
    17 years ago

So how are your Palm's doing in Tn. these days?

• mountain_grown
    17 years ago

Just wanted to check in and say hello to all the great Tennessee gardeners and especially those that arent afraid to 'push the envelope' into the tropical realm.
    ( Hello Jeff aka BOV )
    The winter was still a mild one but we sunk to 4*f above zero one morning on the cumberland plateau in early February.
    All the palms have survived and the Musa Basjoo bananas should start poppin up soon .
    I would like to encourage anyone not trying palms to look into these fairly safe standards for Tennessee :
    Needle Palm : very hardy evergreen palm , low growing .
    Sable Minor : same as above but dosent trunk . good below 0*f .
    If you have a little microclimate going on ( or live in the metro areas ) try :
    Trachycarpus Fortunei ( chinese WINDMILL palm )
    ( not chinese fan palm )
    This palm has been reliable for me down to a brief -8*f twice but defoliated. I have three taller than my roof gutter lines . Beautiful trunking palms.
    Camellia Ice Angels , exotic grasses , agaves and yuccas look great in the annuals and perrinals we tennesseeans like to throw into the garden bed.
    Hope everyone is ready to get back out and get their shoes dirty , Have fun and 'push the envelope' !
    Mountain_grown aka Rob-Livingston

• intimidator_3
    17 years ago

Rob! your back..........again. You need to hang around more man. You, Nashvillejohn, and Buckn21 hardly post anymore, I get all into cold hardy tropicals and then everybody leaves!

My Trachys are doing great, all three of them now have been through their first winter with no protection. They all still look great.

The Sagos are burnt as usual, but just like the past two winters, Ill trim the foliage back and wait for a new flush of growth in the spring.

I do have a Sabal 'texana' that doesnt look to happy though. Foliage is browned quite a bit even with protection. Hope it will recover.

Doug

• farmerbell
    17 years ago

How do you raise palms from seed? I have some needle palm seeds, soaked them for about 24 hours, then planted them. I had been led to believe from my research that they would germinate very quickly. They have been planted several weeks inside under lights and no little sprouts. Any advice?

• bigorangevol
    17 years ago

Dang it Rob call or email me!!!

jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net
    615-310-4155

• myrtleoak
    17 years ago

Windmill and needle great again with no protection! If anyone gets a chance, they should try a saw palmetto. Got one last summer in SC. Threw a blanket on once or twice for good measure, but looks great with minimum pretection this winter. I have heard that these can go down to at least 5 degrees (maybe 0?). Anyone else had any luck with the saw palmetto (also would like to hear from any pindo growers)?

• intimidator_3
    17 years ago

The only Palmetto I have is a texana which is looking particularly sad right now. We'll see how it goes.

I also had a Pindo which came back with us from True Blue Nursery in South Carolina winter before last, but it bit the dust. I dont think that I gave it the attention it needed for the first winter and it made me pay. Id like to try it again as I think one will survive here. Anybody else got Pindo tales?

Doug

• bigorangevol
    17 years ago

Bump for Mom to four kids.

• tennesseestorm
    17 years ago

To update, my Windmill palm made it through the winter with stride and we had two mornings with record lows around 8°. One in December and one in February... No damage at all.

• abercrombie4me03
    16 years ago

Hello Hello it has been a very long time I see that anyone has responded... but I guess I won't be shy to post. I still have my king sago survived last nights big freeze with protection and my trachy fortunei has'nt showed a single sign of any stress the trachy took last years freezes with no problem! so no worries there my washingtonias however got killed last winter and never revived was worth a try any updates anyone?

• mountaingrown
    8 years ago

Bump for palm tree lovers

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm