Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvtown

What Was Your Best Addition to the Garden This Year?

Dave Townsend
14 years ago

What new (to you) plant did the best whether vegetable or ornamental in your garden this year?

I would have to say in my garden the 'Powis Castle' artemisia. It grew big, fast, and looked great next to a couple salvias!

These pictures were taken early in the summer and the salvias are showing much yet.

Here's a different view among the salvias:

Here is a link that might be useful: Artemisia in my garden

Comments (16)

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Great Pictures!
    All my Salvias and are sill blooming.

NEW PLANTS
    Maraschino'
    Red Autumn
    Wild Thing (Pink)

OLD PLANTS
    Black and Blue
    Purple
    White

Wanda

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Gotta go with the pergola...

(Click to embiggen.)

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Absolutely Beautiful Joe!

Of all the pictures, the first I loved the most, the new with the old (barn), just fantastic!

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I like this thread!

It's hard to say just yet with mine - the perennial garden is so new, I am not sure what's going to be my favorite. I'll tell you something I have really enjoyed for a long bloom time, though, and hope it's back next year: Verbena Bonariensis.

David Phlox also seems like its going to be a big winner in the white garden. It bloomed almost non-stop until very recently.

Oh! One more: I was really trashing the white-out roses I planted for the first couple of weeks they were in, but those things came back so strong and are STILL putting on a show! Now that I think about it, I think top honors have to go to them. I hope they do as well next year if we don't have the non-stop rain.

• Dave Townsend
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wanda,

Neat salvias! I'm a big fan of the purples. Just added a Texas sage this year.

Joe,

The pergola is awesome! I might have to add something similar one day. Of course I really need more space for one. One acre just isn't big enough for me.

Connie,

I'm a fan of verbena too!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

I would deffinitely have to say my fruit garden is my best addition this year. I have huge triple crown blackberry & wineberry raspberry plants (more like bushes...they'd probably each have a few vines over 7-8 ft tall if stretched out...amazing!). those are both from some kind folks I met at the Spring swap. In addition, I have a very healthy dwarf banana tree & dwarf lime tree. =)

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

for me it would have to be variegated kiss me over the garden gate. Beautiful!

Mary

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

Hmmmm...that's a hard decision. Since I love salvias, too, it would probably be my Mexican Bush Sage, but then I really liked the "red" Creeping Jenny I got, and the Jupiter's Beard (Yep, finally got one established) is pretty awesome, too!

I don't know, come December, it might just be that new Camellia. We'll see how it does - it's pretty covered with buds at the moment.

Oh, I don't see how I can pick, honestly.

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Red Creeping Jenny? Oh, now that is interesting indeed...

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

Yeah, I don't know if it actually IS creeping jenny - that's what the tag said when I got it at Lowes or somewhere, but the leaf structure and growth habit doesn't look the same to me - but it is quite a nice ground cover. I may try to bring a piece or two to the swap to see if anyone can tell me what it really is.

I hope this isn't one of those I start hate next year! LOL.

• greenish_thumb
    14 years ago

I'll have to say mine is the mexican petunias - they've been blooming non-stop since about a week after I planted them. They're really interesting with dark stems and bright purple blooms.

I've seen them in Florida for a few years in landscaping and found them late at Babeley's here in Knoxville this year.

• cocolily
    14 years ago

This year I added some "Big Orange" Canna to my garden. Every good Tennessean knows-- you gotta love Orange! (Go UT!) Here are a couple pics...

{{gwi:538513}}

{{gwi:527010}}

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Pretty Canna's! =)

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

greenish thumb: When we were in Cayman they had hedge rows made from those. (Mexican Petunias) Talk about striking! I have a couple of clumps that have been coming back for me for a couple of years now. They aren't supposed to be hardy here (Nashville) but so far, they've done well.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I saw Mexican petunias for the first time at April's garden tour, and they're high on my list now. They are a beautiful plant in just about every way! I saw them at Home Depot last year and didn't know what they were so I passed on them. I'm getting them if I see them again! (Which of course, now I won't! LOL)

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

Yeah, but you could always ask me to split my clump next spring, Connie. :-) They are starting to spread beyond where I want them, so it will be time to do it.

Somehow I don't think they'd like to be planted in the fall - they are one of those warm-soil plants that don't take off until high summer and come out of dormancy very late. But those purple blooms and the foliage are so pretty! Wish I had mine in more sun - I think they'd bloom a lot more.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?