blooming today. It has a 25 inch spike, with blooms on the

top of the spike. May be normal but was the first time we

have ever seen one. Looks like a minature century plant in

bloom.

Norm

Comments (14)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    18 years ago

What type of Aloe do you have? You should post a pic. I've seen Aloe blooming but never had one of mine bloom. I think mine are too way to young for blooms.

• Soeur
    18 years ago

Mine blooms spring and fall -- it's blooming now, in fact. I think they're tuned in to a certain day length. Mine's just regular A. vera, I believe. Blooms are a cluster of hanging tubes of soft orange with a yellow rim. They like to be incredibly potbound, I find.

You just never know when some plant you've had for years will decide it's time to get busy. I grew a clivia from seed 15 years ago, and the thing is enormous now. This is a species that is supposed to bloom in winter, but this past June mine decided to finally get it on while summering on my shady deck. It put out a truly spectacular cluster of flowers, and it's now setting seed. Guess it didn't get the memo about liking short days and cool temps to bloom.

Marty

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

Norm, take a picture !!! I love to see succulents in bloom. My aloes have never bloomed, but my unusual Kalanchoes do, and I've had sempervivums to bloom too.

Cheryl

• sondra_tn
    18 years ago

I have two aloe plants I brought up from FL. Are the ok to plant in the ground or should I put them in pots and bring it during winter?

• maternut
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sondra you need to bring them in for the winter. Cheryl
    I posted a picture on the light pole in my yard, none of
    you guy's came by to look at it. It's too late to teach
    this old dog new tricks. Maybe I can send you a picture.
    Norm

• sondra_tn
    18 years ago

Thank you Norm, I will do that. I haven't put them in the ground yet....hehe
    What size pot do you recommend? They are little now (quart size pot I think)
    Sondra

• SmokyMist
    18 years ago

lol Norm, well just save that picture and show it to me this spring at the swap !

Cheryl

• motaz1_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

my aloe bloom for first time last year in december, I wasn't know that it can bloom. Now I'm growing more aloes, and get a new type (But I don't know the names of these types)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1291524}}

• sudani
    17 years ago

This is the photo of aloe and spike
    This plant is not so famouse in blooming in Sudan

Here is a link that might be useful:

• aldebmartin_tds_net
    13 years ago

A friend of mine gave me an aloe plant last summer. This December I also had a two foot spike with blooms. I have had aloe plants for years and never knew they blomed. What do I do with the spike after the blooms fall off?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Debra,
    Chop it off as close as you can to the base, or, wait a while and you will eventually be able to easily pull it off by hand.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    13 years ago

Wow, old post...lol...good info to know though, as I have a huge Aloe plant upstairs in my garden room.

• maternut
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Five and a half years late, where have you been Steve?

• Mai_Ramadan
    11 years ago

Ya, I was also surprised to find my Aloe Vera blooming. Maybe after ... 17 years?! (I have had the original plant eversince I was 6 or 7, so I don't know the exact age of this offset. Maybe it is the mother plant).
    But since I have it in a pot in a 10th floor balcony, I would not get any organisms to bloom it. Do you think it will be effective to pollinate it using a paintbrush? I have read on some forums that Aloe Vera are not cross polinating?!
    I am really eager to try to grow my plants from seed :D

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz