Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisybritt_gw

Deadly Algae on small ponds

daisybritt
15 years ago

This is to warn you that algae is death to pets and small animals, my dog is so sick and will never be same again if she survives. I have a small pond and fountain which has algae in that she swallowed, since i have learned cattle and all animals die when consuming this. Please research this on the net.I didn't know this or i would never have put a pond in.

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Interesting alert. Daisybritt, I noticed that you said your pond had a fountain. Was the fountain/pump running when this occured? The reason I ask is because I thought that Cyanobacteria (toxic algae) was usually only a problem in stagnant water. I wonder if there's a simple solution to this. What do cattle farmers with ponds do?

• rockguy
    15 years ago

All algae are not deadly. It would help to be really specific when you're warning us to do or not do something, unless you are just trying to cause panic....PS, Sorry about your dog.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Rockguy,
    There are multiple types of algae that can produce different toxic substances. It's a complex issue and not as simple as just naming one particular type of algae to watch out for. A quick google search can tell you a lot about the different types of algae and possible toxic compounds. From the few articles that I read, there are still a lot more questions about this subject than there are answers. Often livestock and pets are dying from this without being diagnosed. Sounds like a little warning might be a REALLY good thing. When I read Daisybritt's post, I didn't panic, but it did make me realize that it was something I might should consider further.
    Brandon

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

I am so very sorry about your dog. I hope that she recovers completely.

It is blue-green algae. Here's a link, for anyone curious:

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/news/toxin_warning_for_dogs_who_swim.html

It seems like the cases I have heard of have occurred mostly up north (this article mentions MI and MN). But it still scared me enough that when we took our Lab to the lake this summer and I saw a funky green glaze, I wouldn't let my husband take him off leash until I called the vet on my cell. They said they had never even heard of this kind of poisoning, and assured me they'd never had or heard of a case here.

I knew about it from my Lab forum - it is a great concern for dog owners in northern states. Still, I don't know for sure that it could not happen here. Very scary.

Again, my very best wishes for a full recovery for your dog, daisybritt.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Blue-green algae is the old name for members of the Cyanobacteria phylum. There are many different types and many are not blue or green. Just because you don't see a "blue-green" color algae, doesn't mean you are out of the water (excuse the pun).

The problem is definitely not confined to "up north". Cases of poisoning from Cyanobacteria have been reported in Florida, Texas, and California for example. Blooms in fresh water seem to be the most problematic.

The algae in my pond fits the description of this stuff perfectly. I don't have a pet right now, but was planing to get one. This is a potential problem that I think I need to check into more first.

Daisybritt, please let us know what happens. Thanks for making us aware of this, and let us know if you learn more. I sure hope your dog recovers.

Brandon

Here is a link that might be useful: CDC Info Page About Cyanobacteria

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Blue Green Algae is/can be toxic to dogs.

http://www.vtvets.org/public_health/...en_algae.shtml

"Unlike green algae, blue-green algae can accumulate in dense scums capable of producing toxins that damage the nerves or livers of PEOPLE AND ANIMALS. Several dogs have died since 1999 after drinking algae-rich lake water.

Watzin said her laboratory doesn't have the equipment to test for the nerve-damaging toxins produced by the particular species of blue-green algae found in Malletts Bay. Samples have been sent to Syracuse University for analysis. "

There are no known antidotes for poisoning resulting from blue green algae. More info;

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/drought/ds-7-97.htm

• daisybritt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    I thought everyone should know of this as i could not believe it happened to her. My fountain is running all the time, i have running water. But we have smelled algae this summer a few times, i am clearing it out all the time. I saw her eat it but was to late to stop her, 2hrs later she started trembling all over and blinking real fast and could not get up, we got her to the vets she was there for 5 days she still can not get up and down real good, but she seems to be getting better. I was not trying to scare anyone i just wanted people to be informed that this algae does exist as i was not aware of it.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Had your vet had other experiences with this? Has he or she seen it happen to other pets in this area? Did he or she say how common it was? I think any of us with animals around need to be aware of this. I'd never even given the safety of algae in my pond a second thought, but this has me concerned.

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Is the vet sure it was blue green algae that did this? What kind of testing did they do to know for sure? I looked up the symptoms and they were rather vague. I know one of my dogs got giardia and and the symptoms sound about the same. Then again there was no definative testing done, the vet just guessed using the symptoms the dog had and the area we live in.

Mary
    BTW how is your dog doing? I hope she has had a full recovery.

Sponsored