Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeroots_gw

Butterfly Gardeners in TN

TreeRoots
10 years ago

I started my butterfly garden this year, and am wondering who all in my neck of the state is doing the same. So far, I've raised Eastern Black Swallowtails and Spicebush Swallowtails, but am trying to add as many host plants as I can. I have hosts for the Ladies, Monarch, Giant swallowtail, buckeye, Comma, QM, Pipevine, Tiger, Fritillaries, Zebra Swallowtail, and more.

I'm looking for False Nettle, Common Milkweed, Sassafras, and Sweetgum for my garden, but they (esp the Nettle) has proven difficult to come across.

So.. who else gardens for the winged beauties? Post pictures! (and I'll do the same, whenever I get the mulch down)

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I have a butterfly garden of sorts. I don't really plant things specifically for butterflies, but have ended up with lots of plants that are known to be butterfly host/nectar plants. I have a feeling that there are many more in my garden, but these are the ones I remembered while reviewing a list of butterfly host plants:

Asclepias incarnata - Swamp Milkweed
    Asclepias purpurascens - Purple Milkweed
    Asclepias syriaca - Common Milkweed
    Asclepias tuberosa - Orange Butterfly Milkweed
    Asclepias variegata - Redwing Milkweed
    Asclepias verticillata - Whorled Milkweed
    Asclepias viridis - Green Antelopehorn
    Asimina triloba - Pawpaw
    Clethra alnifolia - Summersweet
    Helianthus angustifolius - Swamp Sunflower
    Helianthus maximiliani - Maximilian Sunflower
    Lindera benzoin - Spicebush
    Liriodendron tulipifera - Tulip Poplar
    Magnolia virginiana - Sweetbay Magnolia
    various Monarda - Beebalm
    Passiflora incarnata - Purple Passionflower
    Poncirus trifoliata - Hardy Orange
    Pycnanthemum pilosum - Whorled Mountainmint
    Pycnanthemum tenuifolium - Narrowleaf Mountainmint
    Pycnanthemum virginianum - Virginia Mountainmint
    over a dozen species of Quercus - Oak
    Rhamnus caroliniana - Carolina buckthorn
    Ruta graveolens - Rue
    Sassafras albidum - Sassafras
    over a dozen species of Viburnum
    Vitex agnus-castus - Lilac Chastetree
    Zanthoxylum clava-herculis - Hercules Club

Sorry, but I don't have pictures to post. My garden is just east of Knoxville (in Mascot, TN). Where's yours?

• TreeRoots
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of accidental hosts! There's some on your list that I'm having the hardest time tracking down. I don't have anything memorized, yet, aside the from the common names, but I have:

Asclepias incarnata
    Asclepias tuberosa
    Asclepias curassavica
    Passiflora
    Wisteria
    Pipevine
    Clover
    Hopvine
    Elm
    Oak
    Wild Violet
    Pussytoes
    Pearly Everlasting
    Fennel
    Parsley
    Sweetbay Mag
    Tulip Poplar
    Wafer Ash
    Wild Black Cherry
    Pawpaw
    Spicebush
    Rue
    Plantain
    Snapdragon
    Aster
    Thistle
    Purple Coneflower
    Honeysuckle
    and more, I'm sure
    I'm in Knoxville, as well. I saw a lot of butterflies this year, here in East TN (including 4 Monarchs this fall, so far, which is the most I've ever seen). Tigers were everywhere, though I didn't get but one egg.

If you don't mind me asking, if you have any Common Milkweed, Prickly Ash, and/or Sassafras seeds/saplings, I would love to trade you for them. I'm always on the look out for these, but can never find any (same with False Nettle).

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

So, you didn't make it to the international plant event of the century (AKA the East Tennessee Plant Swap) here in your city? Seriously though, you could get some awesome plants there. I got two baby sassafras trees there this spring. I have some larger ones, but I wanted to grow some in specific places and hadn't been able to successfully transplant any. I have a fairly small one now that I will probably end up pulling out. It was a volunteer in my orchard and has to go. My guess is that it could only possibly be transplanted in early spring, and even then it would probably be a real long-shot. I'd recommend trying to grow one from seed or buying a very small container-grown sassafras. I know I once saw some at Stanley's over in South Knoxville.

I could easily get you some Asclepias syriaca seeds next year. They are very easy to grow from seed. I'm not sure how they'd do if dug up and divided this time of year though.

• TreeRoots
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I missed the plant swap, unfortunately. I wish I could say I was busy or something, but the truth is I just hadn't heard of it until it was over. Ijams Nature Center has a seed swap in Spring, which I plan on going to.
    Stanley's is well familiar of me, don't you worry. They don't have any, though.. and haven't been able to get me any in.

Yeah, milkweeds have long taproots, and definitely should not be dug up. I tried to dig up a tiny one once (it was 3" tall), and I ended up digging 8" into the dirt, and still didn't get all of the taproot.
    I really don't have much to trade.. but I'll come up with something ;-)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

Adding...

Marigolds
    Cuphea
    Alyssum
    Pentas
    Salvia
    Gaillardia
    Campanula
    Lychnis
    Brazilian verbena

And that's where I had many of mine outside of the Buddleia (also great for hummingbirds and the clearwing sphynx moth), mikweed and fennel (when I had gardens. I will again, but not right now). But I also note, some I've listed can be tender perernnial/annuals (in Nashville/Shelbyville/Murfresboro where I (have) lived). Do y'all add these when it gets warmer?

Here is a link that might be useful: good list

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

For those of you wanting to grow Buddleia/Buddleja, be aware that it is invasive (environmentally damaging) in this area. A large area over at Ijams Nature Center, for instance, is absolutely covered over in this stuff.

Some plant catalogs (Plant Delights, for instance) say it's alright to grow invasives as long as you aren't near a natural area. This couldn't be further from the truth and is very irresponsible for them to put out to the public.

Buddleia/Buddleja isn't documented to be as much of a problem as some other invasives, but if you just go look at the Mead's Quarry area over at Ijams, you'll have little doubt as to it's environmental impact.

There are cultivars that are sterile, or near sterile. Supposedly, they are safe to plant. Apparently even their seedlings, if they have any, are also sterile/near-sterile. So, you should be able to plant these cultivars guilt free:

Buddleia/Buddleja 'Blue Chip'
    Buddleia/Buddleja 'Asian Moon'
    Buddleia/Buddleja 'Purple Haze'
    Buddleia/Buddleja 'Ice Chip' (formerly 'White Icing')

Buddleia/Buddleja 'Podaras #4' (aka Flutterby Grande Blueberry Cobbler)
    Buddleia/Buddleja 'Podaras #5' (aka Flutterby Grande Peach Cobbler)
    Buddleia/Buddleja 'Podaras #2' (aka Flutterby Grande Sweet Marmalade)
    Buddleia/Buddleja 'Podaras #3' (aka Flutterby Grande Tangerine Dream)
    Buddleia/Buddleja 'Podaras #1' (aka Flutterby Grande Vanilla)
    Buddleia/Buddleja 'Podaras #15' (aka Flutterby Petite Snow White)
    Buddleia/Buddleja 'Podaras #9' (aka Flutterby Pink)

• Ricki Dykes
    8 years ago

I direct Cub Scout Day Camp in Johnson City, June 6-10. I need someone to come and help us investigate butterflies and how important they are to our environment.. The date is Tuesday June 7 for about an hour or two. Help me find someone. Thanks,

Ricki