Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eleagnus

Posted by daphne35 zone 7 tn (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 11:54

Can anyone tell me if eleagnus (greek olive) is poisonous to cattle? We need to plant a hedge along one end of pasture with fast growing shrubs and since this plant did well for us in mid-Alabama, we would like to try it here, but do not want to harm livestock.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eleagnus

They're considered non-toxic to humans. Can't vouch for cattle!

http://www.aragriculture.org/horticulture/ornamentals/toxic_plants.htm

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 20:11

Elaeagnus (with two a's) is a large genus that contains about 60 to 70 species including Elaeagnus angustifolia (Russian Olive). It is not poisonous to cattle. Cattle, sheep, and horses will sometimes graze on it, but generally don't care for the taste. Birds, some deer, and elk do use the berries and/or leaves for food.

E. angustifolia is very useful to fix nitrogen in the soil. They have even been planted next to fruit or nut trees as living fertilizer. They aren't nearly as invasive as their relative Elaeagnus umbellata (Autumn-olive).

o

Thanks for the info also correction in spelling Brandon -- for some reason in Birmingham, they were referred to as "Greek Olive", but I always knew them as Elaeagnus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here