Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maternut

Brug's

maternut
16 years ago

Last year I had a group of three Brugs, yellow , white, and pink. This year they are all yellow. Do they change colors or did Joe dig them up and swap plants this past winter? The old yellow has over 50 blooms today was counting got to fifty and lost count, That one sure is a sight to see.

Norm

Comments (14)

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

Norm, I hope you have a nice place to sit near your blooms this evening. I am hooked on the fragrance. Rhonda

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

It wasn't me!

But I don't really have an answer, either. Were they planted all right together and did you leave them in the ground? If so it could be that the other two just didn't make it and the yellow has filled in the space.

That's the best quess I can come up with. I have had some that had just a few white blooms the first year then showed their true color the next growing season, but they were usually seedlings or very small cuttings the first year.

Never had a color revert to white though.

• maternut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey I have a update. Sort of sick the last couple of days, and wife found a pink one last night. Now that I think of it they have fooled me in the past. Just waiting for the white one to fool me.
    Norm

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

I'm not saying a word! :-)

• fernzilla
    16 years ago

My Peaches N Cream just finished blooming, and was just breathtaking. I wonder if it might have another flush of blooms befoore frost. Last year my Brugs had 3 flushes of bloom ,but this year the first buds fell off in August, so it has only bloomed once. (:-(

• farmerbell
    16 years ago

Mine are in full bloom right now. I have 5 LARGE plants and 2 small ones. There are between 200 and 300 blooms open now. The fragrance in the evening is amazing. I have a fairly large yard (1+ acre) and in the evening they can be smelled anywhere I walk in the yard. The large plants are ones that I leave in the ground and mulch well each winter. The largest one is over 7' tall and about the same width. It has totally outgrown the spot in which it is planted. I guess I need to take cuttings soon.

Ann

• sondra_tn
    16 years ago

I acquired 3 new brug's from a friend this year...only one has bloomed ( a white one). I do have one that is full of blooms though. THey are still in pots and maybe 2-3 feet tall.
    I tried putting 3 in the ground last year, heavily mulched them and they died. :(( I am scared to place these in the ground. What are you mulching with and how much should be covered? Do you cut yours all the way to the ground? ( I did) Surely not with a 7 foot one. LOL

TIA,
    Sondra

• maternut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sondra after the first frost I cut mine down to about a foot or so and covered with pine straw. One was left unprotected on the deck last year and it came back as well as the ones that were mulched. But would not advise you to be foolish as me.

• sondra_tn
    16 years ago

Thank you for your response....they seem to be the only ones I can't figure out. I even tried cuttings in water and they all turned to mush. LOL

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

I noticed this plant in someone's front bed here in the Memphis area....STUNNING! I was wanting to know how these plants fair as a potted plant and how they do indoors over winter? Are they similar to raising Plumeria? I would love to have one of these but don't know anything about them. Thanks for any info.
    Lori

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

Lori, You need this tree. Some folks just mulch them and they are fine. Mine go in the garage for the winter, plus cuttings go in a bucket of water and poof new plants. The smell is pure heaven. I wish you would have been at the mtps this past spring. We had the best people tell all about these wonderful tropical trees. I hope you can make it to the fall swap. Rhonda

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

Lori: In Memphis you would probably have good luck getting them to return from the roots. But why wait all summer for blooms when you can have them all summer long if you keep the main trunk alive through the winter.

Here in Nashville I plant mine in 3-gallon buckets with holes drilled in the sides to allow the roots out. I lift these every fall and let them go dormant in my basement over the winter. Then the following spring I put them back out and have my first blooms in early June or even late May.

It's easy to have way too many of them real quick.

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info! I have been eyeing some of these on ebay and may try my luck. Tngreenthumb, so you plunge your pots every year and then just overwinter them indoors? How does this plant do as an above ground potted plant? I would more than likely have them in pots above ground. Thanks again for the info. I have decided I must have one of these gorgeous plants.
    Lori

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

If you're in the market for Brugs then the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap is the place to be this Saturday. There are always tons of them thanks to Joe & Judith!!!

Speaking of the Zigmeister...Tammy sure was laying it on thick Saturday night about what a great brother-in-law she has. As much as it pained me to do so, I had to agree with her Joe.