Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amazindirttn

Great Swap!!

Amazindirt (7a TN)
16 years ago

I get to be the first to say -- great swap, everyone!

The East TN/Knoxville Plant Swap went off without a hitch. The weather was a bit cool but beautiful and sunny, the folks were warm and friendly, the food was tasty, and -- oh yeah -- lots of great plants found new homes!!

The swap today just couldn't have been much better. Thanks to everyone for coming, bringing all the interesting stuff, and making it such a lovely day.

I want to add two private notes as well. First, to the phantom crinum depositor: I know who you are, I know what your vehicle looks like, and you'd better watch out next swap 'cause there's no telling WHAT might jump into your car when you're not looking. ;-)

And to the poor newbie whom I snapped at: my apologies! I didn't even realize you were with the GW folks, I thought you were just somebody walking through the park picking up plants as you went. I wouldn't have been nearly so abrupt if I had realized that you hadn't been to a swap before and you just didn't know the ropes quite yet. If you'd still like that daylily you had picked up, just let me know!

Thanks again to everyone. It was a great day!

Comments (9)

• madmouser
    16 years ago

It was wonderful. Beautiful day. Thanks for all the great plants. I've got photos up for those who missed it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Knoxville Plant Swap

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

That was a lot of fun. I didn't count the people this time, but I think it was our biggest Fall swap yet. Lots of neat plants. I planted stuff most of the evening yesterday and will be finishing up today.

Doc, how do you know the person has a car rather than a truck. LOL

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It was a small SUV. Now if I can just remember the make and model.....

Unless, of course, they had an accomplice? Hmmmmmmmmmm, Brandon?? ;-)

• neophytegardener
    16 years ago

The swap was quite fun--wish I could have stayed longer, but the kids were needing some attention. Thanks for all the neat trades, everyone! Today will hold the joyous task of settling all of them in for winter. :)

As for that crinum depositor--I think I know who that was. If so, they knew you loved them to pieces, and did you the favor of not allowing a refusal! LOL ;) If you ever find out what cultivar they are, let me know. Also, I don't think they are 'Milk and Wine', as they seem more magenta than the pics of those that I have seen.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Hey Doc, you're the queen of plants in pots. What do you think the chances are of these successfully overwintering in pots outside if they're left out above ground?

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The crinums? Pretty darned good. When Jeff gave me those big crinum bulbs at the fall swap in 05, I left the bulbs out on my patio -- unpotted, just sitting on the brick -- all winter. They didn't get planted til spring, and they did just fine. Of course, those were BIG bulbs. I'm betting these smaller ones will be more tender. But I'm planning to pot em up and put em in a semi-protected outdoor spot til spring, myself.

• sondra_tn
    16 years ago

I am sorry I missed it. I haven't been to a swap in a while. Between hubby traveling, softball, basketball and inlaws living with me for the last 7 months. I haven't had much time in my garden's. LOL Plus, with this drought all my stuff look's too pitiful to give to anyone. :( Maybe next spring. :)

• krikit
    16 years ago

FABULOUS!!! It was the perfect day. Thanks to all of you for your generosity. Had a couple of surprises myself when I started loading my vehicle :-) So a special thanks to you, BRANDON!!!

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

So glad to hear that everyone had a great time and it was another successful day. One of these days I'll make it up there for one. I had my 30 year high school reunion last weekend so there was no way.

I'm going to try and dig up some more Crinums for the MTPS this Saturday. I think that ours are Grandiflorum. I'd love to have some pink, rose and red ones! They are such cool plants.