Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (18)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Woops, I shoulda put that URL in the link box. Trying again!

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated sans on ebay

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

That aint nothin' Doc. New intro Daylilies can and do regularly go for several thousand dollars at auction.

Here is a link to the most expensive Daylily ever sold at auction. Its a beaut from Ted Petit in Florida. It was sold at auction year before last at the annual Can-Am classic meeting in Niagra Falls.

Doug

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily LARRYS OBSESSION

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Doc, in the "good" Yahoo Sans group (yes there's a bad one too, long story), there's been a lot of talk lately about the rediculous prices Sans have been bringing on Ebay. Many of the exact same type Sans that are going for hundreds or thousands of dollars can frequently be found at the big box stores (Home Depot, etc.) for about $10 to $20. There are some nuts out there that apparently have more money than common sense.

Some of the collectors get a kick out of showing how valuable the stuff is that they just sent some newbie for the cost of shipping.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Doug, I want that one when it gets down to about $10. :-)

Daylily prices can't really compare to this sans. With daylilies, they'll multiply in a coupla years AND you can breed from them. This sans may make an offset, eventually....

And Brandon -- I may have to start shopping HD again. I've pretty much given it up in favor of Lowes, since Lowes does plant mark-downs and HD doesn't. And btw, the little pinguicula (NON-variegated) that you gave me last year is doing just fine!

• dennisjmccoy
    16 years ago

I 'been thinkin' about selling on Ebay. I wonder how much I could get for "heirloom" daylilies? (ditchlilies)

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

Wow....just....wow.

I suspect Jeff will chime in with me here, seeing as he's the owner of Cheapwood Gardens, but that's just stoooopid. The most expensive things in our yard are some arbovitae we bought to make a screen on the back property line. Pretty much everything else either came from friends or the plat swaps.

And the stuff we bought are the things that have fared the worts this year. Go figure.

I take that back. I bought Cathy a weeping willow at Lowes (or HD, can't remember) and it has died too.

• TnShadyLady
    16 years ago

That price on the Sans blows my mind! AND it has brown spots on it!! I'd rather save my money for traveling to places to find new plants..... or maybe for a greenhouse. :)

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

I found a nursery in Florida where they are selling the exact same thing for $20. So the dude on Ebay is only gigging folks for $1,955 a pop.

Doug that is a great looking Daylily for sure and I realize that the Sansevieria is rare too but anyone that would pay over a grand for a plant/flower is insane! On the other hand, I would avail myself to them for adoption at the drop of a hat. ;-)

You never know, maybe somebody will show up at the MTPS with one!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ooooo, Jeff, which nursery was that?? Acquisitive minds want to know! :-)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

btw, Shady --

The brown areas you see on the plant are normal for that species. :-)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I think the areas she may have been referring to were the spots, not the tips. You can see them if you look closely at the pics. If so, while the spots are somewhat typical, they are blemishes caused by less than 100% perfect growing conditions or plant health. For that much money, I'd expect an absolutely unblemished perfect plant. Heck, for that much money, I'd expect a lifetime guarantee against anything happening to the plant AND a certificate for a free visit to a psychiatrist to see why I let myself spend that much for a plant I could potentially get for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found an interesting thread about this very cultivar over on the GW sans forum. Seems the guy who is selling it is a world-renowned sans expert.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sansevieria/msg0611330512381.html

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

He's Juan Chahinian and is President of the International Sansevieria Society.

Doc, You should join the Sans group (if you have enough time to read through about 75 emails per day, quite a few of which aren't directly about Sans). If your interested, give me a shout and I'll tell you about the different groups. You could read through all the emails and then let me know which ones were important enough to read. I recently gave up on trying top skim through all of them. (-:

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nah, that's a level of insanity that I don't really need to get into. I like the pinguiculas and I like variegated things, but there are limits!

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

For that amount of money it had better clean house, mow, weedeat and wash my car!

Doc here's the site; go nuts! http://www.bobsmoleys.com/sansev.html
    Looks like he has over 140 different ones.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Bob has a reputation of being able to be a jerk, so keep that in mind as you order. He's got a pretty good Watchdog rating, but it could be even better if he'd be a little nicer to his customers that have problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smoley's Garden Watchdog Rating

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jeff -- The pinguicula he's got isn't striated, and the striated sans he's got isn't a pinguicula. It's the combo of pinguicula and striated that makes this plant so expensive. ;-)

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

My Pricelist

Chinese privet rare 'TN form'....$299
    Heirloom Bush Honeysuckle........$399
    Shortleaf pine seedlings (limited quantity) $399
    Virginia pine seedlings..........SOLD OUT!
    *all plants hand-harvested from natural upland secondary growth woodland in beautiful Rocky Hill, TN!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz