Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocolily_gw

Anyone have experience with Hibiscus?

cocolily
14 years ago

So there is a 8-9 ft Red Hibiscus plant growing in my garden (planted by previous residents). It's blooms are big, and with bold red color. I JUST LOVE IT! Now- to the point.

After reading on here how many people give away/want seeds, I felt it a waste to just leave them to the birds. I've harvested seeds for my first time ever! I waited until the little pods browned and then popped open. Now I've have the seeds indoors, to dry out. They are brown to dark brown with fine hairs. (Does this seem right?)

Although it is smalll, here are a couple pics of the blooms to help you know which variety I have.

{{gwi:1291856}}

{{gwi:90801}}

(I will collect more seeds as they become ready!)

I'll also gladly share what I already have with anyone interested, as I'm not looking to use these seeds myself. I would appreciate some helpful instructions (for a newbie) on how to package/ship the seeds? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

Once they are thoroughly dry, you'll want to put them in small bag of some sort and keep them in a cool, mostly dark place. I put mine in an old coffee tin and put it in the fridge. This keeps the seeds "fresh" and more of them will germinate come spring.

This is what I do for most types of seeds - but perhaps a Hibiscus expert will chiime in.

And, I'd LOVE some hardy red hibiscus seeds! :-)

• cocolily
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks April- and you'll be the first I send them to. Let me get 'em dried, and then I'll contact you for shipping info!!

• palmetto_gardener
    14 years ago

I do like hibiscus. Are you interested in swapping for money plant seeds?

• burwoodbelle
    14 years ago

COCOLILY!I would love to trade hardy pink Hibiscus 6to8 in.size.

Pat.

• cocolily
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'd love to accept the offers made, but I've yet to master the "art" of growing from seed. Sending them to me would be like sending them to their deaths. I don't have a lot of room indoor to work (1 level Aframe house), with poor sunlight and a serious lack of windows. Perhaps just pass them on to someone else for me? I just hate to waste plants (or seeds in this case)

HOWEVER

Palmetto & Burwoodbelle- I'd be glad to SEND some to yall as well. But I believe that'll take care of my first run. I will, as promised, harvest more as they get ready.

So-- WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO PACK THEM FOR MAILING? Thanks for everyone's input.

• cocolily
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After 1/2 hour searching online, I've found the exact species I have. The blooms match, leaves match, size matches. This is it!! It's a "Lord Baltimore".

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

Very cool. I've been looking for this one. :-)

As far as mailing, it's really easy to just stick them in a little ziploc bag, small envelope or paper packet (like the ones commercial seeds come in - you can make one easily with notebook paper, and glue or tape). Then stick them in a regular business size envelope. That's really all that's required. Seeds are the easiest things to ship, that's for certain.

• msbatt
    14 years ago

I would love to have some of these, or, even better, some cuttings if they haven't already gotten nipped. I'll gladly pay postage, or swap you a passiflora. that's hardy.

• cocolily
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INPUT! I'M OUT OF SEEDS FOR NOW!
    Or, they're all spoken for, at least. Those of you who have been promised, email me at

ceb3124@hotmail.com

and gimmie your address. I'll send them right away!
    **ALSO** I posted 2 messages in the "exchange" forum about some other seeds I have on hand. Go check it out!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations