Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
calling farmerbell -- ID please!

Posted by amazindirt z7 ETN (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 07 at 15:46

Hey Ann--

I got a plant from Marianne today, which she thinks she originally got from you. We need an ID!

It's a bulb -- the bulb looks similar to climbing onion -- with beautiful shiny green rippled leaves. The closest I can come so far is Veltheimia bracteata (forest lily), but I'm not sure that looks quite right. Do you remember what it is?

Thanks for any info!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: calling farmerbell -- ID please!

Ione, I don't grow anything (that I can think of at the moment) that looks like a climbing onion. I gave Marianne some daylilies and a pineapple lily and a few other things at the spring swap. She did get some walking onion sets from me last fall but they don't get as big as a climbing onion. 'Tis a puzzlement!! Sorry I am not of much help. Let me know if you figure it out. How was the swap today?

I just thought of you today when I was bringing in 2 elephant ears I got from you last fall. They have both done well.

Ann

o

Hey there --

I only meant the bulb part looked like a climbing onion bulb, not the leaves. ;-) Basically it's a fat green bulb standing about 1/3 out of the dirt, with the leaves coming directly from the bulb (no pronounced stalk). The leaves look related to pineapple lily, but very rippled. Marianne had two of them -- did you give her two of the Eucomis?

This may just be a Eucomis I'm not familiar with -- heck, I'm not that familiar with Eucomis in the first place -- or it may turn out she didn't get them from you anyway (she wasn't sure). I'm entranced with the leaves, though, and I'd like to know what it is. Thanks for trying!

The swap was great (see my other post). I hope you've arranged to go to the MT swap -- if so, I'll see ya there. And I'm glad the EEs are doing well for you!

o
hmmmmm....

Do you know what species/variety of Euchomis you gave her?

Eucomis undulata (autumnalis) looks close, although these leaves are even more wavy than the pics here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eucomis autumnalis

o

I just came in to respond again. I remember that I gave Marianne some jumbo crinum seedlings at the fall swap last year. However, their leaves are not rippled. Below is a link that describes the jumbos.

I gave Marianne a bulb of 'Sparkling Burgundy' eucomis. Mine occasionally are wavy, but not like you describe plus their leaves are quite purple in early spring, eventually becoming mostly green during the summer. Even then they retain some of the purple color. Mine have put up new leaves recently and they are purple.

Here is a pic:

Marianne may have gotten the bulb from someone else????

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Jumbo Crinums

o

Hey again --

I went out and looked at mine again, and now I'm thinking it probably is a Eucomis. Not at all burgundy right now at least, but I'll see how it looks next year. Still much wavier than the pics I've seen so far -- but the leaves on it right now are pretty small, and those waves may flatten out with maturity.

Thanks again for the input -- I'll report back next summer. :-)

o
By George!

I think I may have the ID on our mystery plant. Chlorogalum pomeridianum -- wavy-leaf soap plant. A native of the west. In any case, it looks close!

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_index&enlarge=0000+0000+0602+0374

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/forb/chlpom/all.html

Here is a link that might be useful: wavy-leaf soap plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here