Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walking Iris

Posted by columbiastock Z7 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 15:50

Recently given two walking iris by a lady (from Savannah, Tn.)that came to our yard sale. While she was here she noticed my reblooming white iris and had never heard of them, so I dug her up a clump. Next day I found two plants she had brought by my garage door. Searching in Tn Gardening for information, nothing was listed but was some listed on the Garden Web. Would like to know if anyone in the Middle Tn area grows these iris and any information appreciated?

Wanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walking Iris

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 17:35

Wanda,

I'm guessing they are some species of Neomarica? Do you happen to know which species they are? Some are hardy/marginally hardy in your area, some are not. I think pretty much all of them appreciate moist, well-draining soil, and few if any do well in dry soils. Most can grow in anything from full sun to light shade. It would be pretty easy to find more specifics if we knew exactly what you had.

o
Re: Walking Iris

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 17:37

BTW, sounds like you got a good deal! I'd sure be happy to trade someone some white reblooming iris for just about any type of Neomarica.

o
RE: Walking Iris

Thanks Brandon, the lady thought my crocosmias were the walking iris. The leaves are so similar. She told me about her walking iris and am greatful she brought me two. Now I see how they walk, there was a bloom stem on one of the plants she gave me. It had attached so far up the stem a set of leaves 3"tall with a clump of little roots that came out from the side.

Wanda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here