Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcrooke37

Need a home for an Ele Ele banana

mcrooke37
15 years ago

I have a 6ft. Ele Ele banana that I would like to find a home for before the winter hits. I have a lot of plants to bring in for the winter and I don't have the room inside this year. I will be glad to give it to anyone that would like it. I also have some red shield hibiscus if anyone wants some to pot up for the winter.

Comments (7)

• mari5us
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I am very interested in your banana tree. Where are you located ?? Are you close to Nashville?
    Please let me know if you still have it available.
    Thanks for your offer.
    Marianne

• mcrooke37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Marianne,
    I am located just east of Knoxville in New Market. I still have the banana but I am a ways off.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Hey, I am in Knoxville and would be happy to give it a home! I live in Northwest Knoxville near I-640.

Rebecca

• mcrooke37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rebecca,
    Email me at mcrooke41@hotmal.com and I will give you directions to my place.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Rebecca will give it a very good home! :-)

• beaw
    15 years ago

HeyI got a questions you say 6ft Bananna tree what are you feeding it. I have two I planted this spring and while one is growing ok the other has not grown at all. I guess I simply am not giveing it the right plant food.
    Anyone out there know what to feed bananna trees.
    Also I plan on cutting my off after frost and mulching really well and just leaveing in the ground has anyone done that . Im in Tn right on the Al Border so we dont get real cold here...........Thanks

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Beaw, what type of banana do you have?

Musa basjoo is the most common type found around here. It can be grown outside all year in Tennessee. If that's the type you have, a well drained soil and plenty of mulch will help it get through the winter. Some other types of bananas may have to be brought inside for the winter.

Fertilizer might help your banana grow, but if you just planted it this spring, fertilizer probably isn't what's missing. It may just take some time for it to get established. I've found the old saying about sleeping the first year, creeping the second year, and leaping the third year is really true with bananas. The three most important things you can do for it in the mean time is make sure it gets plenty of water in the growing season, ensure it's planted in well drained soil so it doesn't rot in the winter, and mulch it well which helps hold in moisture during the growing season and moderates temperatures in the winter.