Houzz Logo Print
sandsquid

Memphis swap????

sandsquid
16 years ago

In another thread

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tngard/msg101249243262.html?8

I said:

I know a great spot on Summer Ave, just east of Sycamore View Rd. (The Church directly across the street from Shelby Oaks Elementry School.) Decent size parking-lot, access to rest-rooms, water tap for plants, etc.

============================================

So, today I ran it past some folks at church and they thought it would be okay. Just need to propose it to the Stewardship Council.

To do so, I need to know:

1) WHEN we would want to do this.

2) And an approximate number of folks attending.

(The parking-lot probably wont accommodate more than 100 cars.)

Also I think it would be a nice gesture to donate a few hardy plants to the church landscape in return for the use of the facilities. Anybody have a problem with this?

I think we could make this into an annual or even bi-annual event when it is approved, and if it goes smoothly.

=======================================================

Is there enough interest in this for me to move foreword?

Comments (14)

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

So far there has only been about 6-7 people aontacting me. I would love to see this happen. I know there are alot more than 7 members in the West Tn area.
    Maybe this can happen yet.

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

Great! It would be wonderful to have a West TN Swap.

Holler at me if you need any "what-not-to-do" advise, I'm the Grandaddy of that and have plenty of experience in that area.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

Maybe if we set it up, they will come? We will need to do it soon or it will be to cold. I will contact my peoples.lol! I am sure others are reading this too.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We do have in indoor gymnasium, but I really didn't want to have to sweep and mop the deck after we were done...

How late is too late?

Would it be better to plan a spring swap, give us more time to iron out the details, etc?

• mstagjd120
    16 years ago

Count me in - I'd like the chance to meet some local gardeners. Either fall or spring is good with me, though in the spring I will have more to share (seedlings).

• leighmac
    16 years ago

Well, my Fall is shot re: swap. I have too much work to do after shopping locally and visiting Tony Avant's over the weekend.
    Serious As A Heart Attack: I can So do a Spring Swap.
    Atoka Dawn, I mean it. You have my email address. Let's begin to plan. I propose April midmonth, planning around local sales. C'mon Memphis area gardeners. Let's commit. Let's DO IT. I know at least four Midtown gardeners who don't visit Gardenweb but would attend a local Swap. I will happily recruit and report back. We can do this.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

leighmac , yes I have your e-mail and will keep you updated.Contact your folks and get back to us.

Our weather is getting unpredictable now. I do not know how safe it is going to be to plant much longer.

I have heard from a few people from Ark that would like to come also, since they are just across the river from us. I have thier e-mail addys. I promised to let them know what is going to happen.

So now we just need to hear from others to see what we will do and when.

Come on folks!!!!!! Lets hear from you!

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay then... I believe we have reached critical mass (or perhaps it should be better described as "terminal velocity" ;-)

I think now that the weather has turned, most folks are tucking in their loved ones in to bed for the "winter".

So SPRING 2008, Mid-April sounds good to me.

That would give us:

12 APR 2008 as a primary date
    19 APR 2008 as a postponement dur to inclement weather date

Mark your calendars.... WE WILL MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

bigorangevol , as we pull this together, all tips and help would be great!

I have my calender marked..I am sending this out to my e-mail listed group.

E-mail me and I will trade phone#s with you so we can play with thoughts. Maybe do a meeting for coffee.
    dawn40@bigriver.net

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

> all tips and help would be great!

Indeed.

> E-mail me and I will trade phone#s with you so we can play
    > with thoughts.

I can set up conference calls

>Maybe do a meeting for coffee.

I work out on the Base in Millington (couldn't guess that by my user name, huh?) so I guess you could call that "close-by". Though I still have not found a cup of coffee worth a damn in this state (possible exception being a starschmucks(tm) quad-espresso.)

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

I am in Cordova. If I can help, let me know. Talking about plants over coffee is right up my ally!! Can't wait for the swap in April!
    Lori

• leighmac
    16 years ago

That's the spirit! Both dates look good to me. I'm marking my calendar now. Thanks AD,Sand and all.

• atokadawn
    16 years ago

I am right close to you. About 14 miles from Millington. But since I am retired.....I am mobile!

• fernlady1559
    16 years ago

Fellow Members: Count me in on spring swap. Will have
    lots to swap. Hopefully will find other members that like
    water gardening too. Love my brugs too. Fernlady1559@aol.com

Sponsored