Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amazindirttn

plumerias!

Amazindirt (7a TN)
16 years ago

Okay, guys --

There seems to be a plumeria fad going on around here. I know of at least three forum members growing em right now.

I'm a big fan of fragrance and variegation, so I'm thinking about getting one or two. But before I take the plunge, I want to hear from y'all.

How hard are they? What does it take? Should I wait til spring to get one? Speak up, this inquiring mind wants to know!

Comments (7)

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

I am new to the plummie game. Rebecca posted that they overwinter in a dark corner of the house with no water all winter. That sounds great to me, one less corner to dust. Ther fragrance is enough to make me want to try them. Are you going to order a variegated version? I have never seen one. Rhonda

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

I brought my Plumies up from Texas a few years ago and so far they are doing great. I overwinter them indoors in a fairly sunny room and I water them a few times for good measure. (I guess not everyone overwinters the same). The best one I had this year was one that I plunged in a front flower bed. All the rest are just in pots above ground. They did okay, just not as big and healthy as the one I plunged. (Ironically, though, it was my only one with no inflos).
    I will be bringing them all indoors soon....sigh.
    I say get one if you have a chance! They are pretty easy.
    Lori

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do they grow more like an adenium -- light, not much water -- or more like a brug?

And yes, Rhonda, if I do end up getting any I'll get variegated. No reason to waste the space if it ain't variegated. ;-)

• TnShadyLady
    16 years ago

Ione,
    Plummies are easily started and grown from seed. While some forums state that it can be 3 or 4 years before one sees blooms, I saw blooms this year on my seedlings this summer that were started in the spring of 2006. And seedlings started in late winter/early spring have been large enough to be stored dormant that fall.

I have had good luck with rooting plumeria cuttings, provided I start the cuttings in early summer. It can be really difficult to keep them from rotting if temperatures are not HOT. I have started some on heat mats but they don't exactly thrive until they are outside.

Plummies need sun, warmth, regular watering and fertilization to bloom. And they aren't particularly bug prone.

I set mine inside the garage once frost is imminent and let the leaves fall off (water is totally withheld at this point). Then, I stick them in a closet in the basement. No water at all until late March, at which point I pull them out into the garage again.

The only negative I see is that mine are starting to get HUGE and next year, I'm going to have to invest in some heavy pots to keep them from tipping over.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Nat!

I guess I'll wait til it warms up next year before taking the plunge. If I get any irresistible urges in the mean time, I can always start with a variegated adenium or two. :-)

Thanks to everyone for the input!

• TnShadyLady
    16 years ago

If you are interested in plumeria, I have some extra seed and will be starting seedlings to share at the spring swap.

No signs of variegation yet on my adenium seedlings but then, they are still really small. By spring, I should know which ones are going to be variegated and have made a mental note to put aside one or two of them for you.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are a lovely person. :-)

I think if I do get into plumerias, I will be picky and buy one or two of the named rooted variegated cuttings off ebay. They end up taking up so much room, I'll have to be careful to select something I really want to live with. (Like brugs -- I now have precisely ONE brug, and I intend to keep it that way!) Adeniums are much easier to squeeze in. ;-)