Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leighmac_gw

What is the most money you will risk on plants?

leighmac
14 years ago

I used to be appalled at paying $5 for a plant; annual or perennial; especially if it died. That is until I became a plantaholic. I've killed/lost many a good looking(in the beginning)plant these past ten years or so. I still balk at paying more than $15 for a plant. Of course, I have been known to spend $100 to $150 worth on plants in a single purchase in the not too distant past. What is your cut-off? This is not an "I-Am More-Frugal-Than-Thou" boasting contest. I am genuinely curious. The plant collectors in us all want to know!

Comments (9)

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

It depends on the plant for me. A tree or nice shrub I'll pay more for but perennials I rarely buy it right off the shelf anymore. I might pay $5-6 but if I do buy one at full price I only buy the one and propagate more. It had better be unique though. I troll the discount racks often at the box stores but I would rather buy a nice plant at a nursery of something unique.

• atokadawn
    14 years ago

Do not shoot me........ I spent 20.00 one day for a plant for the house. I do not think Pat will ever forgive me.

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Not counting the landscape shrubs and trees we bought when the house was finished, I think the most I have ever paid for plants were the Black Taro elephant ears we bought last spring. (08) They were $25 for a two or three gallon pot. We bought two. Last Fall we dug and divided them and had 12 pots.

After growing them outside this past summer I now have around 22+ in the basement and at least four of the big clumps haven't been divided yet.

And a lot of folks got some at the fall swap. I'd say it was a good investment. *grin*

Oh, I should add that most of the rest of our flowers were from the swaps.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Well, let's see: Last year I bought some $100 trees, and that was unprecedented for me. I really wanted Cryptomeria though. :)

I buy a lot of the more mundane/common plants, shrubs, etc. at the flea market in Lebanon, TN. If any of you have not been, and you are looking to landscape a large area, this place is THE deal of the century. The growers bring their plants up from McMinnville, so they're freshly dug and healthy as can be. You won't find a lot of really different, exotic perennials, but if you're looking for shrubs and trees it can't be beat. Oh, and they have all flavors of Knockout roses at 1/3 of the box store price. I loaded up on those last year. All have done awesome except for the yellow. Stay away from the yellow. :)

Anyway, to answer the question: The most I've ever paid for a perennial has probably been around $10. I bought some agastache online this year for about $8 each, and that seemed like a lot to me, but they are not available just everywhere and I really wanted them. I feel happy when I pay about $3, which you can easily do at Martin's in Murfreesboro, and they have a lot of really cool stuff. I didn't discover them until late this year, but they are my go-to for next year!

• maemae0312
    14 years ago

I look for a bargin like the next person but........this spring there was a variety of brugmansia that I really wanted, lets just say it was my birthday and I was depressed so I paid $50 for a 12inch plant. It is about 4 feet tall but I can't get the darn thing to hang on to a bloom. About a week after I bought it the seller raised the price of this particular plant to $75 I would not have spent that much for it!!! I know my biggest adenium somone bought for me as a gift and was $40. though I will splurge it is not my normal thing to do.

• louisianagal
    14 years ago

I typically look for bargains and will generally pay $4-5 for a 1 gal perennial at most, maybe $8 if I really want it and can't find it anywhere else. I'll pay around $12-15 for a shrub, have paid $30 for bigger shrubs from a family-owned nsy, will pay $30-60 for a tree.
    I also cruise the clearance racks, collect seeds, propagate cuttings, and trade.
    laurie

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

I paid $20 for my Dwarf Lime Tree. That's probably the most i've ever spent on a plant, but this time at least, it has been worth it! =)

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Hey Steve, I have a Key Lime that Rhonda brought me last year. I need to get it out of the ground too...

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Yea, my 2 tropicals have both been in the basement for about 2 weeks. That now large (3 ft tall about) Dwarf Lime & my sweet looking Dwarf Cavendish (Banana). =) They are doing well, hibernating.