Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

Thank you all

bigorangevol
16 years ago

Whew! I just came home and collapsed. I sure needed that two hour nap!

Thanks to everyone for making the Fall Swap another wonderful success. We had a small number (30-35) but it was sure nice for our last swap at Jan & Jim's place. We had about half a dozen new folks and we hope that you guys had a great time and will be back with us on May 17th for the Spring Swap.

A special thanks to Doug for the wonderful lecture! I may just have to try this hybridizing thing. Major props go to Joe for his usual stand-up job as our photographer and my right-hand-man. Big thanks to everyone that helped me with all the other stuff, especially Doc and Robert. It's our people that make these swaps so much fun!!! Thanks to all of you guys that swapped plants with me, particularly those of you that had pity on me and just gave me cool stuff for no good reason! The generosity of our members knows no bounds.

For those of you that didn't or couldn't make it, I sure wish that you had been there. Our regulars that weren't at this swap were GREATLY missed!!! Thanks to no-show Lucas that finally put in an appearance; I see a future guest speaker!!!

Last and most assuredly not least, the biggest thanks in the World go to Jan and Jim Hobbs. Without them and Mona White these swaps would never had come about. When I think of all the countless hours of fun that we've had at the swaps, not to even mention all the plants we've received, every bit of it goes back to these three incredible people. If they donÂt make it to Heaven then the rest of us donÂt have a shot. We owe them sooooo much it is ridiculous and I can't begin to express how much Lavonne and I love them for all they've done for us and especially for their undying friendship and patience with me.

So to all our members, I've said it a million times and I'll keep saying it... YOU GUYS ROCK!

Comments (8)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

As you know we will be relocating the MTPS in the spring. Our date is May 17th and the time will be the same. If you would like more info on Henry Horton State Park here is their link:
    http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/HenryHorton/index.shtml

We are extreamly lucky to have found someone else that is as excited to help us host our swap as Jan and Jim have been the last ten years.

Thanks again for the continued support that you guys show the MTPS!

BTW, I talked to Norm and Barb tonight and he is doing better but it may be a while before he's back up to speed. He went through the same withdrawl and depression from missing the swap yesterday as I did last year when I was laid up. He REALLY missed seeing all you guys so I thought it wouldn't hurt to rip him off some get-well/we miss you emails and maybe even some pictures.

• thedaylilykid
    16 years ago

My name should be changed to SHOWTIME Lucas!

• msbatt
    16 years ago

Jeff, could you possibly post a link to Norm's e-mail? I for one would really like to e-mail him and LHK how much he was missed.

I for one thought this was one of the best swaps EVER, although somewhat sad because I knew it was going to be the last one at Jan and Jim's. I loved Doug's talk---even though he showed some pics that just *may* cause me to develope a new addiction!---and the comraderie was wonderful.

Can't wait to see all you folks in the spring!

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

You deserve many thanks, Jeff. My Mother was completely smitten with you and Lucas. She was in awe that everyone was so generous. She toted the palm she got from Ione like it was a new baby in the family. Thanks so much everybody! I am so proud of my garden buds. I had a blast as usual. I missed Norm and Barb so much. I hope they can make the spring swap. I hope everybody got their stuff planted as it is supposed to rain all week. I am sore as heck but got everything planted. If Lucas was to consider giving a lecture next spring in Chapel Hill, Showtime Lucas would fit for sure. hehe

• cottagegirl_tn
    16 years ago

Well I just had to write and let everyone know how awesome me, my sister and my friend thought the plant swap was. I counted and ended up bringing home 22 plants!! How awesome is that! It's the only way to get the variety since many old faves aren't even sold in Lowes or anywhere else! I got plants I hadn't even heard of. Yes, I did get most except about 5 stragglers in the ground by Sunday evening! It was our first swap experience and we are already excited about the spring! I just can't get over how generous and friendly and helpful everyone was. I got so much good information...35 heads are definitely better than one! If you can't tell from my screen name I'm 2 years into sculpting a cottage garden. Many more swaps like this one and it will be brimming over big time!! Thank all of you flower enthusiasts (nice to know I'm not the only one!!)
    Jennifer

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Judith, Norm's email is either nslayne@lctn.com or nslayne@gmail.com. I use both. He would love to hear from you guys!
    And I'm contemplating the hybridization thing too. Good job Doug I think!

Rhonda, I can understand your Mom being smitten with a tall, young feller like "No-Show" but if she was smitten with me then you need to get her to a doctor and an ophthalmologist quickly!

Jennifer we are so happy that you guys had a good time. What has always made the MTPS a success is our people. Yes it's cool to get a variety of free plants that the box stores never carry but the camaraderie is what sets us apart. It isn't a function as much as it is a bunch of really good friends hanging out swapping plants.

Lucas you can have the "Showtime" moniker as soon as you work up a lecture and present it at the MTPS! Until then you are going to have to be affectionately referred to as either "No-Show" or "Mr. 10%".

By the way, even with such a small number of attendees this time we still had folks from all corners of Tennessee as well as northern Alabama, NE Mississippi and NW Michigan. Thanks again to everyone for making my job easy and fun!

IÂll keep you all abreast of the details on the new location. IÂll try and post some pics of HHSP so yaÂll can get a feel for it. Go ahead and mark your calendars for May 17th. See you at the River, Duck River that is!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll be posting spring swap info very soon so keep an eye out for it.

In the meantime...I can't thank Jan and Jim and sing their praises loud enough. What incredibly wonderful Christian people and marvelous friends. Please thank them and keep them in you prayers & in your hearts every chance you get. Without those two and Mona, I never would have had the opportunity to meet any of you much less have all these cool plants in our yard.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Fer shur, we owe a huge debt of gratitude to Jan and Jim! Thanks guys, it was great swapping and visiting down there!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm