Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

Red Dragon Flower question

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

I don't remember who I got it from at the swap, but I love my Red Dragon Flower! =) It had 2 6 inch or so stems on it when I got it & now has those same 2 with like 15-20 more! Anyways, with the cold weather upon us lately, it appears to be changing colors somewhat (a bit greyish??). Any & all help with Winter care of this plant would be very greatly appreciated as I so do not want to loose it! =( If I need to take it indoors, please let me know...or if it will be fine outdoors, etc..

Thanks! - Steve

Comments (19)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Steve, is this (see link) what you have or is it something else?

Here is a link that might be useful: Huernia schneideriana

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Steve, I bring my inside when the temps get below 50*. Brandon is correct, it is a Huernia Schneideriana.

Wanda

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

And if memory serves I think you can just snap off a piece at a node and stick it into the soil to root new plants. We had a few pieces from a swap or two ago. Never got any blooms though. Could be because the cats love to pull them out and play with them.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cool...thanks for the info. I guess the few nights in the 40's may be starting to mess with it then (hence, the discoloration). I'll bring it inside when I get home today. =)

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

I root mine in water. The wind storm we had knocked mine off the plant shelf I had it on, now I have over a dozen to root. But sill lots in the pot, three are over 29" long. If you need some let me know?

Wanda

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Wanda...I'd love some! =) I'm sure mine will survive, as long as I bring it indoors soon (when I get home today is the plan), but I absolutely love the thing & would like to have a few more. They would be a great trade for the Thai Basil.

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Steve--I have you 11 plants that have roots (within a week in water), would wait and let the roots get long before potting. Also one of the 29" that is potted. Not sure why I have the long ones, all where in the same pot, unless the shelf being 5' from the deck floor and the plant just likes to trail.

Wanda

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awesome, thanks! =) I brought mine inside a few minutes ago when I got home. Does it look ok? The discoloration doesn't worry me as much as the weird blackness/spots near all the "spikes" on some of the stems...

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Steve--I also have a few black spots. Not sure why, the weather has been so damp. Keep an eye on them, might have to pluck the stems with the black spots off the plant.

• burwoodbelle
    14 years ago

Wanda! I would love some of the Red Dragon Flower if Steve does not want all of it.
    Pat.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I by no means need all of it. =) 2-3 well-rooting/rooted cuttins would be fine for me & I think Wanda has like 11.

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

OK with me Steve, by Saturday possibly will have more, 2-3
    plants in a pot fills out well.

• new-gardener123
    14 years ago

I would love a cutting! Again, new to gardening, I have not seen this before and didn't know anything about it until I saw the picture.

Rebecca

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Rebecca--May be tables of 'Red Dragon Flower' that are already potted. I should have plenty in water rooting if not.

Wanda

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, about half of the new/short stems got more & more blackened and looked like they were gonna die, so I pulled them off. :-\ The rest of the plant (both long stems & 6-7 short ones) will survive though.

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Steve, When we swap, lets talk about this plant. As in where it is growing, how much light, water, etc. Since mine also had some black spots.

Wanda

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok...it's my first year growing it (got from Spring swap), so I may be doing some things wrong with it! =)

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Steve--Sure you got it from us, Spring Swap 2009 (your first swap, you were talking with Bob about the plant when I walked up)! Glad you enjoy it so much, wait until you get the long one potted. Really think it is from the moisture we have had. See you Saturday

Wanda/Bob

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mine continues to go downhill! =( I yanked 2 more branches off it yesterday. I have to find out what's wrong before I loose the whole thing! This was, by far, my favorite plant I got from the Spring swap. =( It's indoors, for almost a week now & watered normal. Maybe I should give it a little MG boost?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH