Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Recently Added Noxious (Illegal) Plants for TN

brandon7 TN_zone7
13 years ago

I bet many people haven't heard about the recent additions to the TN Noxious Weed List. It is now ILLEGAL to propagate, sell, offer for sale, or release into the environment the following plants:

(a) Lythrum salicaria, Lythrum virgatum, and related cultivars (Purple Loosestrife)

(b) Solanum viarum (Tropical Soda Apple)

(c) Ligustrum sinense (Chinese privet)

(d) Ligustrum vulgare (Common privet, European Privet)

(e) Imperata cylindrica (Cogongrass)

(f) Lonicera maackii (Shrub honeysuckle, Amur honeysuckle)

(g) Lonicera morrowii (Morrows bush honeysuckle, Morrow's honeysuckle)

(h) Lonicera x bella (Bell's honeysuckle)

(i) Rosa multiflora (Multiflora rose)

(j) Elaeagnus umbellata (Autumn olive)

(k) Elaeagnus pungens (Thorny olive) - effective January 2012

(l) Salvinia molesta (Giant Salvinia)

(m) Commelina benghalensis (Tropical Spiderwort)

How many were aware of this? Have you seen some of these available at plant swap?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chapter 0080-06-24 Pest Plant Regulations

Comments (7)

• tngreenthumb
    13 years ago

Not sure what your point is Brandon. From what I can gather with a few minutes of due diligent research, this applies to commercial growers propagating for resale. Not individual gardeners.

Now I could be wrong, I only spent a couple of minutes while eating breakfast, but the article you linked even says "THE TENNESSEE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE DIVISION OF PLANT INDUSTRIES"

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There are a couple of points. One is that it's surprising (in some ways) that some of the plants are no longer available. Autumn olive, for instance, is a plant that is often sought after for its fruit and, in some cases, for its ability to be used as a nurse plant. Various privets are sometimes used as hedges. I have known about the severe invasive potential for these plants for a long long time and I am glad they are being banned, but, it is a fairly new development for Tennessee that I am somewhat surprised to see all the sudden.

Another point is that, while all significantly invasive plants should be avoided, these are SO bad that they should never ever ever be offered at our plant swaps. Intentionally cultivating them in ways that might lead to their further introduction into the environment is something that no Tennessee gardener should even contemplate.

I posted this just to see what other people thought. It is something that I hadn't seen yet, and I think it's interesting. This development effectively adds another level of alert to these particular plants that's not found in the normal TN-EPPC list.

Here is a link that might be useful: TN-EPPC Invasive Plant List

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Personally I just purchased some Lysimachia atropurpurea Beaujolais, purple gooseneck loosestrife. I am seriously wondering if that is also one in the same of the one on the list. I personally wouldn't of purchased the seeds if I had known or seen this list prior. For me if it is invasive to industries then it is something that I would not want to grow either.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn,

Lysimachia atropurpurea 'Beaujolais' is in a totally different genera than Lythrum salicaria (I'm assuming that is the one you were talking about). There is a Lysimachia (Lysimachia nummularia / Creeping Jenny) on the TN-EPPC list, but it is a different species. I think you are pretty safe, environmentally speaking, with your selection. That's not saying it will be a mild-mannered addition to your garden, but at least you don't have to worry about it taking over the neighborhood. (-:

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Whoooo Hooooo!!! LOL, cause I was really looking forward to growing that little plant!!

Oh and I almost bought some Elaeagnus umbellata, Autumn olive. I am so glad I didn't now, cause after I got my seeds I was like hmmm I should of went ahead and tried that also. LOL

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few years back, I considered getting some type of Elaeagnus, myself. Elaeagnus umbellata, Elaeagnus pungens, and Elaeagnus angustifolia are all on the TN-EPPC list. I also looked at some other possibilities, but it seems like the species with the best potential for nurse-plants also have the worst potential to be invasive. I finally figured I'd just have to say no to this whole genus.

• krikit
    13 years ago

This is a good post Brandon, I too almost purchased Elaeagnus angustifolia and am so glad I didn't. I am glad to see invasives being banned - I constantly battle privet because my neighbor has it. I think it's a good point to make people aware of this at the swaps - whether legal or not, plants deemed to be this invasive shouldn't be at the plant swap (IMO) for several reasons. I don't think anyone would knowingly give plants that would be harmful - so maybe an informative flyer could be made available at the swap?

Thanks for the post.

Sponsored