Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

Propagation Success!!! =) (April, Read This Please)

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

I'll post a pic of it on this thread tomorrow, so y'all can get a better idea. My Zephrine Droughin Rose cuttings appear to all 3 be successfully propagated! Yay! =) How do I say this you ask? lol...There are a ton of small 1-2 inch roots all over the 2 liter bottle. My question being, what's the next step? Leave the cover off for good now, or just a few hours a day? Plant them into something else or wait a while for roots to grow more & top-end growth to show? Any & all help appreciated. Thanks! - Steve

Comments (4)

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Hey, that is awesome! I am very relieved to hear this, because I was afraid I hadn't cut the right part or cut a stem that was big enough.

Tell how you did it, please!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. =) April explained a method to me at the swap that I used. I washed out a 2 liter soda bottle, cut it in half (actually slightly lower than that), put some soil in the bottom part, dipped the rose cuttings into rooting hormone that April gave me, put them in the soil covering up at least 2-3 leaf nodes, put the top back on (with cap), watered a ton (probably too much maybe) & then let them sit, leaving the top on the whole time. What i'm confused about in this process is a mistake I may or may not have made. The first 3 days or so they were in complete darkness because I thought that's what April said, but I may have been mistaken. I was told by someone else on GW that they are supposed to be in sunlight, so I moved them to sunlight this past Tuesday afternoon. I don't know if the few days of darkness helped or hindered the process. Hence, I await April's confirmation of what she said (that I forgot, apparently...lol). =)

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

They need to be in indirect sunlight and they need to be kept in your little Coke bottle terrarium until they start putting out new leaves. Too much sunlight will fry them because the bottle traps a lot of heat (so if they are in a sunny window, make sure you only leave them there for a short while, then set them back away from it). But they need a bit of light (and the heat it generates) so they'll grow and put out leaves. I put mine in a north or east facing window usually, where they only get indirect light or at best short amounts of direct, cooler morning sunlight.

Once you have new leaf growth appearing, you can start leaving the top of the bottle off for progressively longer and longer periods of time so they will become acclimated to their normal environment. This is when you also begin moving them to a location with more direct sunlight, so the new growth will be healthy and strong.

Hope this answers your questions, Steve - ping me if you need more info.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It does answer my questions...thanks a ton, April! You're the best! =) This small learning experience about propagation will allow me to do so much more with my gardening. - Steve

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource