Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

Happy Thanksgiving!

bigorangevol
16 years ago

Lavonne and I wish all of you the happiest Thanksgiving ever!

Just a few random thoughts...

May your stuffing be tasty

May your turkey plump,

May your potatoes and gravy

have nary a lump.

May your yams be delicious

and your pies take the prize,

and may your Thanksgiving dinner

stay off your thighs!

Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle, or the ship; the axe had enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union. It is the duty of nations as well as of men to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God; to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon; and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations are blessed whose God is the Lord.

- Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation October 3, 1863

Comments (8)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Haaaaaaaaaaappppppppy Thanksgiving!!

This will be the first Thanksgiving without my grandfather, and we'll be eating in his house (we won't be celebrating our Thanksgiving til Saturday). I will be giving thanks for all the wonderful years we had with him and with Grandma, who died ten years ago.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Doc, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandad. I lost both of my Mom's parents within a month of each other 7 years ago. I miss them and think about them every day but I cherish all the memories of the time I had with them. My heart is with you.

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

Hi Jeff and everyone.

David and I find this day has been full of blessings to each of us. Our daughter Laura and our granddaughter Emma Grace,who is now 3 months old, were here. Our son, Douglas, his wife, Lynn and our grandson Hunter,who's now 16 months old, were here. This is now our family. I lost my parents years ago and David's Mom and Dad died in the last 2 years. With the passing of David's Mom this past year,it did seem lonesome and a very small gathering, but so full of love for the new little ones that have recently came into our lives. I have heard all my life that noone can explain the love you will feel for your grandchildren and now I know that feeling. God gave us these blessings when I needed them the most. God in all his Glory alone knows what our lives will be and he is merciful to us all when we open our eyes and let in his love and blessings. Blessings sometimes small but always glorious in his love. I hope that each of you will see your blessings this special day of Thanksgiving. My love goes out to all my special friends from Tennessee.

Has anyone heard from Jan and Jim since Tuesday?

May God bless each and everyone of you with his loving Grace, Mona

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Our Thanskgiving day was spent back in the hospital, Mona. Jim had a bad night and at 5:30 he got up and I looked at his incision and about fainted. It was the size of a small grapefruit and was purple! We got dressed and started for the hospital... got as far as the end of the driveway and the car cut out and refused to start again. Got Jim back to the house and called an ambulance. We had to go to the nearest hospital, which was Columbia, and they started IV antibiotics. Called his Dr. and he had him transferred back to Nashville.

It was not infected like we thought, but bleeding inside. It was caused by a new medication they were giving to thin his blood. They stopped that and let us come home yesterday afternoon...Frid. Our daughter brought us home. Our SIL looked at the car and fixed it...something simple, thank the Lord for that. Jim is in a lot of pain, and the Dr. said that it will take about a month for the blood to dissolve. The dr. talked about lancing and draining it, but he was afraid of infection...I guess with all the scare of staph going around. The next month is going to be a long one. Please keep praying for him. He goes to the Dr. next Wed.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ya'll are going to put me in the "nervous hospital"!

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

Jan, I pray for Jim's recovery. Most of all, I pray for you. For our precious Lord to give you his Grace to get through this terrible time; to give you his strength to overcome this trial; to give you his peace to allow you to rest at night; to give you his mercy to protect you and Jim in this time of need. Please keep us informed when you can find the time. I'm so sorry Jan. Love to you both, Mona

• krikit
    16 years ago

Hey Jeff - don't know how I missed seeing this last week. A beautiful post! Thank you.

Frances

• katzswoman
    16 years ago

As Jan has always said God brings it to us and will see us through it............I'm the one who who says how does he know how much we can stand???????? I'm a military brat and am trying to keep my faith going.......God Bless you Jim and Jan

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA