Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are there attractive covers for yard hydrant?

Posted by nancyk 6 (zukituck@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 9:40

We are installing two new self-draining outdoor faucets(Home Depot calls them yard hydrants, they are a steel pipe that goes two feet into the ground, four feet above ground, with a lifting handle on top that when you lift it with the water off, the water in the pipe drains from the bottom of the pipe so it will not freeze). One will be near by raised flower beds so I will not have to constantly be dragging the hose back and forth. Are there any kind of alternative handles for these(such as a brass fitting that is easier to look at than the industrial handle that is on the faucet)? I have been unable to find anything.

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are there attractive covers for yard hydrant?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 21:07

Here's my 2 cents: Probably just about anything you do to the hydrant (except maybe covering it with one of those giant fake rocks or hiding it behind shrubs) is just going to draw attention to it. Personally, I'd just leave it as-is and most people will probably not even notice it.

o
RE: are there attractive covers for yard hydrant?

"leave it as-is" I will probably do that. I have another one in the lower garden and I never give it a second glance. Once I had a brass grouse on an outdoor faucet which looked rather cute and if I could find something similar for this I would get it but after talking with my husband about the operating system of the selfdraining faucet, I doubt the top handle could be replaced.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here