Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagegirl_tn

Looks like a killing frost to me

cottagegirl_tn
14 years ago

Well I am going out to day to survey the frost damage. From my porch I can see that the elephant ears and the canna's have been blackened. I had gone out and cut the last blooms from my heritage rose and my fuschia knockout on Thursday. I know my plants need to rest for winter but I sure hate to see them go. There's always hellebores, winter jasmine, etc to keep me entertained in the near future. How's everyone else coping?

Comments (8)

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Still have blooming: Kerria Japonica
    Salvia's-Caradonna, Wild Thing, Marachino, and Snowhill
    Alpine Aster
    White Iris
    Citrona Orange Wallflower
    Knock Out Roses-Red & Pink
    Will pick all the remaining peppers today,they did get damaged on top of the plants, but bushes still loaded.
    Have some Wild Thing Salvia cuttings I potted 3 weeks ago, so far are doing ok. Boo-Coos of Brugs, a few did not survive.

I too was wondering how everyone was coping. Guess everyone busy with the holiday season. Has been quite lately.

• rockguy
    14 years ago

Still waiting for 28 degrees or so to kill the rest of the weeds so I can burn them.

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Rockguy--Checked out the long range weather channel forcast on desktop, maybe Thursday night, giving Columbia 29*. Of course you know that is never written in stone, :).

Hate to see the hard freeze come, but once it does, always hope the temps will get low enough before spring to take care of the "bad bugs".

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I'm kind of looking forward to the killing frost too. When I got up this morning, first thing hubby said to me (he was reading the paper): "Well, you may get your frost this week." I want it to kill the bugs also!

Wanda, I have a lot of the same stuff on your list still blooming here. Rozanne Geranium is still going gangbusters too. The canna leaves are looking pretty ratty, but I still have one out there that has a pretty bloom on it.

I'm just ready to clean up!

• misterbaby
    14 years ago

Some plants display resentment of the freeze, but the hybrid teas, geraniums, turnips, and others laughed it off. My sister in Pittsburgh says her geraniums are still going strong! Misterbaby.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    14 years ago

I've still got some perennial sunflowers blooming (beautiful things), as well as some roses. I haven't looked to see if the aromatic asters are still blooming, but I've had those in bloom til Christmas some years. :-)

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

My aromatic aster is done. But the knockout roses have never looked better!

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

I agree about the knockout roses; several of my roses are still going, but those are the happiest in the cooler temperatures.

The big surprise for me (although perhaps I shouldn't have been) was my bush sages. The Furman's Red is STILL going strong, although S. coccinea did get nipped last weekend.

Ah, well, I guess all good things have to come to an end. :-) And just in time for Christmas shopping, too!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner