Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemcghee

If you got cuttings from me at the fall swap...

conniemcghee
14 years ago

I brought Zephirine Drouhin Rose, Lady Banks Rose and Beautyberry cuttings to a few of you at the fall swap. Can I get a cutting report please? Steve had said that all three of his had rooted...are those still surviving? How about others of you...did any make it?

I'm trying to figure out if I did those the right or wrong way, so your reports (good or bad) will help me learn. :) I am planning on bringing those again to anyone who didn't have luck with them, so let me know!

Comments (6)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

connie: Mine are still surviving, but have not grown much at all in the past week or two. I'm afraid there is a next stage I should have already taken them to, that I have not. I hope my lack of knowledge doesn't end up making me kill them! =( Should I pot them up or something??

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't think they'll grow a lot at first necessarily...I think you just want them to form roots and stay alive for the first little while. Disclaimer: I am certainly no expert on this!

Do you still have them in the mini-greenhouse? Didn't you put yours in a soda bottle too?

I am keeping the ones I'm doing inside in not a lot of light for the first three days, like you did, hoping for similar good results. :)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

One common mistake (at least for me, in the past) with growing cuttings is not properly monitoring moisture in the potting medium (aka "soil"). Obviously, you don't want the soil to dry out, but it's equally important to make sure the drainage is sufficient so that the soil in the lower part of the container doesn't stay wet. It can be really difficult to judge unless you dig down or have some other method to measure the moisture. I used clear cups once, thinking I could see the moisture level. After a few cuttings died and I dumped the soil out, I found that, even though the soil didn't look wet, it was actually soaking wet and my cuttings had died from root rot. I'd bet more cuttings (at least the ones grown under plastic/glass) die from root rot than from lack of moisture. Proper moisture levels and potting medium aeration are keys factors in growing cuttings.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

very good point brandon. I assumed dryness may have been causing them to halt a bit & show signs of stress, but it could very well also be poor drainage.

connie: Yea, they are still in the soda bottle terrarium thing. =) I think i'm going to make some much better drainage holes in it & flush them out somewhat, then put them (with cover on most of the time) in full sun for a few days & go from there. Sound like a good plan? They are still quite alive, just halted growing a good bit & looked a tad bit wilted when I checked them last night.

• cottagegirl_tn
    14 years ago

I am monitoring the underside of my gallon ziploc baggie I put mine in...no roots yet but definitely still hanging in! I'll keep you posted. Oh and you made me laugh on the other post...apparently you caught my rustling virus! A warning...now that you have it there is no cure! LOL Did you get "yellow Jackson" put in the ground??

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, you have fostered a little addiction for me! I've been going out at lunch every day this week and stalking roses. LOL!

Yes, yellow Jackson is safe and doing well in a nice spot! :)

How do you do your Ziploc baggie?? Do you close it up and leave it until you see roots? Do you open it sometimes? I don't know when to take the tops off my bottles. I put the soil in the bottle, no drainage holes, moistened it really well, dipped the cuttings in Roottone and put the tops back on the bottles and fastened them closed with tape. But like Steve, I'm not sure what to do next!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia