Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfb123_gw

How to over-winter double flowering brug??

cfb123
16 years ago

Hi all:

Question (tngreenthumb are you here?) about best way to over-winter a double flowering brug "Creamsicle" that is in a pot. (A gorgeous plant if I may add --humongous blooms!)

Reason I ask ... I received this brug as a cutting 2 yrs. ago, it was fall time so couldn't plant it, so I mistakenly stuck it in water. Well, I almost killed it.

After researching why it wasn't producing roots as other brugs do when placed in water, I discovered double brugs as this one CANNOT be put in water. They only root in dirt.

Last year I tried to over-winter it in it's pot, in the garage. Maybe I erred in not watering it occasionaly, but I darn near killed it again!

This time I was able to rescue it from the most miniscule little shoot coming off the root. And nursed it into a plant that has 3 healthy stems.

So I ask ... how do I safely over-winter this brug :-) It's so beautiful and I don't want to loose it.

Thanks!

Claudia

Comments (4)

• greenthumbs2000
    16 years ago

i'm not tngreenthumb but i do grow brugs, both in the ground and in pots.

the ones in pots i either put in the greenhouse where they continue to be watered & fertilized and grow or in a dark spot in the cool basement.
    I only water the ones in the basement once a month or so and they go dormant. I start watering them more frequently in march and move them out on the porch into the sun (cover them with a sheet if there is another freeze).
    the ones in the ground i cut off after the first freeze and then cover the base with compost (about 2 feet thick), in march when it warms up, i spread the compost out around the base, usually by april there will be new growth.

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

Hi Claudia!

Like the other greenthumb said I usually put mine in my basement and let them go dormant. As for watering that tends to vary with the cultivar. I've lost a few by not watering them often enough, so you have to pay attention to the plant. The tips may shrivel up regardless of how often you water one, but the sturdier parts should remain pliable and not get brittle. If it quits bending near the tips and starts snapping off, water it good and make note of how long it's been since you last watered it.

As for doubles not rooting in water, I can't say that's for sure true. But they tend to be harder in general to root. Same thing with vareigated ones. I have one double this year (species) and managed to make some babies by air layering it.

Also, I've not had a lot of luck getting them to come back from the roots here in the Nashville area. And even when one does they have to grow to their full height before getting any blooms. I plant mine in buckets with holes drilled in the sides for the roots to get out through. Then in the fall I dig them up and put the whole trunk (after pruning) into the basement. The following spring I plant the whole thing back in the ground and have my first blooms by late May early June. Plus blooms all summer long.

Too bad you missed the Spring swap. Sis and I gave a talk on brugs. Shoot me an email and I'll send you a copy of the handouts I made for it.

• cfb123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THANKS to both "greenthumbs" for info.

I think maybe the lack of occasional watering during the winter last year was the problem. I'll baby it more this year and keep my fingers crossed!

This is a gorgeous brug and I don't want to loose it!

(Joe, I'd love a copy of the handout. PM on it's way to you.)

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

Claudia where have you been and why weren't you at the Swap?

Sponsored