Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

A couple of palms almost grew in Knoxville

anntn6b
9 years ago

This past year, a new Holiday Inn appeared on Papermill Road, just down the street from McKays books etc.

Then the landscaping appeared. Someone decided palms or palmettos would look good there.

Me, the cynic, decided to watch them and see what month of winter killed them.

Poor plants didn't make it to winter, or even to December. That cold weather we had in mid November left the leaves a rather strange shade of gray taupe.

It is a cold sink area. Will they leave the vegetation in place long enough to see if there is any life left way inside these plants?

In zone 6-7 we get our plant adventures where we can, esp. if someone else is buying the plants.

Comments (3)

• kenptn
    9 years ago

Do you know what kind of palms they are? Temps in the teens like we had early in the month should not have caused damage to even newly planted minors, needles, or windmills. I know there are palms at UTK that have survived last winter and are recovering.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, what kind if palms were they? Last Winter was the Winter from he// here in terms of persistent snow depth and brutal cold. I lost a bunch of beautiful windmill palms (Trachycarpus) that sailed through prior winters. But my Sabal minors and S. Louisiana survived along with the Needle (Raphidophyllum Hysterix).

Based on this, I would say palm choices in Zone 6b are very limited, but not imposible. Windmills should hold out to Zone 7b, S. minor and Needles to about 6b (without protection). They could also landscape with Yuccas that are tropical-looking but quite cold hardy.

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Today I was going to check (and take photos for y'all to id) and all the landscaping there appears to have been clear cut. Some stubs were left, so maybe something will sprout come spring.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor