Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? about fall sowing

Posted by msbatt 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 12:07

I'm working on a community flower garden, and I'd like to sow a bunch of seeds this fall. The bed is about 20X20, and currently has a few scattered perennials already in it. We turned and amended the soil this past spring, so after pulling all the dead annuals, what I'd really like to do is just scratch up the surface with a rake and sow things like poppies, larkspur, liatris, gailliardia, rudbeckia, etc.

My question is---what common annuals should I NOT fall-sow in Southern middle TN? I seem to remember that my grandmother always kept her zinnia seeds until the spring, and maybe some others, too.

Any advice, suggestions, seed donations (*grin*), etc. hardily welcomed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about fall sowing

I think now may be a little early. Winter sowing needs to be done when temperatures are consistently cold, and, who knows, things could warm up briefly again for us here before winter officially sets in. My recommendation would be to read the FAQs and maybe some of the threads in the Winter Sowing forum. There is a TON of info there. I think the FAQ section of that forum even lists which species to best with this method (if I remember correctly). Definitely worth checking out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing

o

Most of the 'winter sowing' on that forum is done in containers. I tried some of that for the first time last year, and will be doing some more this year. This post is really more about open-sowing, I guess you'd call it. I'm looking for info about annuals that basically self-sow well here, versus ones whose seeds won't survive our winters.

o

Personally, I would sow them (container or in-ground) the same way as far as timing goes (as described in the Winter Sowing Forum), but maybe someone will have other input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here