Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass seed - what & where to buy

Posted by irisaddict 6b/7 TN (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 18:10

Just finished tilling the back yard for 5 hours. At least I just picked up 2 5-gallon pails of rocks while tilling. The wild onions, on the other hand, filled 10 5-gallon buckets yesterday during prep.

Anyway, I need to buy seed! Enough for 1/3 - 1/2 acre so I would like to find a good price. I am probably going to get a fescue blend, the finer blade the better.

Any suggestions? Has anyone seen any sales, coupons, anything? Any suggestions (that don't involve the evil, satanic, bermuda) are welcome.

Thanks!
Evelyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass seed - what & where to buy

Evelyn: Have you tried :Gardens Alive" products? they are a little expensive initially, but really work and they have a great turf seed for this area. It has deep roots and does not need as much water as other types.

Being new to TN, I am still learning about planting seasons, etc., but understand that one should wait until spring now to plant grass. I have gardened with Gardens Alive products (in Alabama) for many years and find that organic products are the way to go. You can research them on the web if you are interested. Good luck!

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 21:44

You might want to review the link below before ordering from Gardens Alive. They don't have the best of reputations. If you do use them, at least do so with open eyes.

I'm not sure where you live Evelyn, but I'd bet there are places like Knoxville Seed or a Farmer's CoOp near by. Why pay shipping for mail order seed when you can get it locally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens Alive on Garden Watchdog

o

I'd second checking with your local Co-op. Also, be sure to check the bag for a listing of "known weed content". I was getting some grass seed recently at Lowes and grabbed the cheap stuff at first. Then noticed the weed content. I swapped that 85lb bag for the more expensive stuff with "no detectable weed seed".

o

I put out some Kentucky 31 this fall and its coming up everywhere really good. I over seeded my lawn just before the grass went dormant and now the new seed is doing great. Try a mix of a couple different seed types. Cool season and one that will grow in warm summer temps and is drought tolerant. Cool season fescues don't hold up great in the summer but if you leave the grass long enough (3" or more) they'll make it through the heat alright. Check out the UT extension office for better info!

UT Extension Office Lawn Management

They have a ton of information on lawns in TN.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Home Garden (my website if you're interested)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here