15 years ago

hello everyone

i am looking for heirloom tomato seeds

i f anyone has any extra please let me know

thanks

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Welcome to Gardenweb, Michiganladi. Looks like yesterday was your first day.

Although you might find a few people in this forum with heirloom tomato seeds, you'd probably have better luck in the Seed Exchange Forum. If you are looking for a particular type that you don't find available through trades, you might try some of the many tomato seed companies like Totally Tomatoes. Their Garden Watchdog rating is good (not excellent), but I have always had very good luck with them. Sometimes they are a little slow, but if you order early, you should be OK.

• sandie329
    15 years ago

I have several varieties of heirloom seeds and purchased them from Bakers Creek catalogue
    www.rareseeds.com
    I moved to TN from MI just over a year ago. I grew these tomatoes in MI and TN, they did great in both places.
    I have Dr. Wyches Yellow - orange tomato
    Tomesol White
    Carbon - I think they're considered a purple tomato
    Black Cherry - same as Carbon
    If your interested in some seeds contact me.
    I just ordered a bunch of new seeds today from Bakers Creek, several additional tomato varieties. You should check their catalogue out, it's free to order from their web site.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Michiganladi --

Where are you located? Have you got anything to trade?

Sandie -- what do you think about your varieties? Taste? Productivity? I'll be planting several tomato varieties this year, some of them heirlooms. I'm interested in hearing about your types. :-)

• sandie329
    15 years ago

I'm located in the Nashville vincinty. I'm not a huge tomato eater, I just love to grow them. They're beautiful though. Those that I've given the tomatoes too fresh or canned love to eat them and their preferences vary. The yellow and white are less acidic but the Carbon and Black Cherry seem to be the most preferred. The whites are beautiful cut with basil and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I also have Brandywine. This time I bought several paste varieties in different colors, a true yellow, a green grape and several striped, they haven't arrived yet and I've not grown them so I can't attest to their flavor. I saved seeds from all of my tomatoes last year so yes I have seeds to spare/trade. I probably have other stuff too, I'll be looking through the seed box tomorrow. Is there anything else you're looking for? Where are you located?
    Oh as for productivity, the Black Cherry is very productive, seems like they all were and the Brandywine was the least. I did get lots of whites this year as well.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Hey Sandie --

Thanks for the info! I'm in Lebanon, and I often drive to Nashville. Not too far!

I ordered a TON of seeds this winter....and I'm sure I won't get nearly all of them planted. I love black tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, so I bet I'd love the black cherry. :-) I'm in the middle of making a database of the seeds I bought -- I'll post a list when I get it done, and maybe we can do some trading!

• sandie329
    15 years ago

I just ordered a ton as well. A little of everything, even artichokes and leeks. I've never grown either. I'm awaiting the arrival of my new seeds.
    I packaged up the 4 heiloom seed varieties today if your interested, I can mail them to you. It's not a problem.
    I'm looking forward to your list!
    Thanks,
    Sandie

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Yer a doll. :-)

I ordered more last night. %-D Got some nice heirloom paste tomatoes that should be good -- called Opalka -- along with other stuff. I'll send you my address for the seeds!

• sandie329
    15 years ago

I packaged the seeds up, they're ready to mail in the morning!
    I've never heard of Opalka so I just looked it up and found a forum discussing those against Amish Paste and they're supposed to be better. Figures, I just ordered Amish Paste.
    If you're willing to share, I'd swap some of the Amish Paste for your Opalka and we can see the differences for ourselves!

• imagal49
    15 years ago

I recently found a website for heirloom tomatoes, previously run by Chuck Wyatt. Don't have any experience with them (I've just sent them my first order) but they have a HUGE variety of heirloom tomatoes - might be worth checking them out. Wrote to the woman who runs it now (Donna) and her reply was almost immediate and very friendly. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Tomatoes

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH