Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmetto_gardener

bank eroding

palmetto_gardener
13 years ago

Recent grading (supposed to have happened months ago) has left a bare bank. It's already eroding. I want to plant shrubs and perennials on it and have started that process. My time is limited right now (not to mention budget)and I need to protect from further erosion. Would landscape fabric or some other product help?

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Landscape fabric (the kind that is sometimes seen on the floors of nursery greenhouses or covering container-grown tree and shrub lots) can be used to stabilize a steep bank. Other types of fabric don't generally work well because they won't hold up. There are at least four things to consider when using landscape fabric.

1. Don't cover it with mulch or soil. If you do, weeds will grow down through the fabric and be nearly impossible to pull out. If covered with mulch or soil, the landscape fabric can just be a nightmare.

2. This makes for a really ugly bank. If it's in an area that's not exposed, this won't matter, but if you are using it in an area where it will be seen, it won't look nice.

3. This type of fabric is usually black with stripes every foot or so. The black color can heat the soil on exposed locations and possibly raise the soil temperature. Some plants may not do as well because of the higher temperatures.

4. It will last for at least five or six years, even if fully exposed, but won't last forever. You will need to replace it every few years.

Oh yeah. You may want to look into the galvanized earth staples that Garden's Supply sells if you plan on leaving the fabric in place for more than a year. The standard steel staples will rust fairly quickly. The plastic pegs sold at the big box stores are completely useless for this application. BTW, I didn't see the galvanized staples on the Gardener's Supply website just now. They normally do sell them and have the specifications listed, but I don't see them for sale. If you want them, you might want to call the Gardener's Supply Customer Service number and ask them what's up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Standard Staples - I don't see the galvanized ones right now

• palmetto_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was thinking of the fabric I see at the Big Box Stores or Farmer's Co-op. Thanks for the info, especially re the plastic pegs.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what type of fabric Farmer's Co-Op sells, but the varieties at Lowes, HD, and Walmart are generally just junk. They can exponentially increase the task of de-weeding the area if weeds are allowed to grow down through the fabric, which is bound to happen if the fabric is covered (baring a near constant and vigilant check for weeds). If left uncovered, weeds probably wouldn't be a problem, but the big-box type fabrics break down in no time at all. I very rarely use the big-box type fabric. I have had customers insist on it and scout for weeds effectively, but that was definitely the "exception to the rule".

• palmetto_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Brandon, I'll search further afield.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

We placed some of the 25 year fabric down that we got from lowes and placed rock on top. Weeds still come through, granted not as bad as the 10 and 15 year but they still manage to come through.

Just a thought but have you thought about using plants for erosion control?? There are many to choose from.

• palmetto_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn. I should have been more specific. I am looking for over-the-winter protection until I can put in more plants in the spring. Do you have favorites for erosion control? I have full sun in most areas and mostly shade in a small area.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Now would be the best time to plant most woody plants, but if you have to "cap it off" for just a few months, then get the cheapest landscape fabric you possible can and some of those steel staples. Even the ultra cheapy stuff should last three or four months.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I totally agree with brandon.

I rarely split, transfer or even plant in the spring anymore, unless I grew it that winter. I have such better sucess planting in the fall on everything. We planted some cleyeras last fall, well we wanted a few more and waited till spring. The ones we planted in the fall did awesome. The ones we planted in spring all died, and we watered good.

Nurseries are already putting their plants in the greenhouses now, and the hours are shorter, but you can still go to a local nursery and get plants. Or like Brandon said cap it and then grow some plants this winter.

If you need seeds, I am hosting a winter sowing swap, you can find more info about it on the winter sowers forum on the exchange side. All are welcomed to join!!

Here is a link that might be useful: erosion control plants

• palmetto_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carolyn, thanks for the plant link. I saw several that are unfamiliar to me. Have to research. I'll check out the seed exchange. I need to buy a few more shrubs this fall but plan to sow a lot of seed this winter.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES