Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug1_gw

Trees for fall foliage

ladybug1
15 years ago

I am wanting to plant two trees for pretty fall colors. I would like something in vibrant orange, red, and yellow. It will have plenty of space to grow, but if possible I would like to keep it under 65 feet. If I can't, oh well. They will be planted next to each other. Can you give me some ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

For Orange-yellow go with ornamental maples, some Japanese Maples, all native hickories, river birches, willow oaks, American beeches, green ash, yellow-poplars, and gingko trees.

For Orange-red get ornamental sugar maples, crape myrtles, sweetgums, blackgums, sourwoods, sassafras, Bradford pears, and Chinese elms.

Check out this link: http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/fallcolor/trees.html

• Dave Townsend
    15 years ago

Crape Myrtles if trained in a tree form might work well.

• madmouser
    15 years ago

UT Arboretum has an excellent guide to what trees turn what color.
    http://forestry.tennessee.edu/fallguide.htm
    Now would be an excellent time to take a stroll through the arboretum, which is located in Oak Ridge. You can see the trees in person and get help deciding what's right for you.
    It's a wonderful resource.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Maples and sweet gums. I love gums because there are so many different colors on each tree!

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

The one great saturated yellow in my part of the world is on the Butternuts.
    Even in those falls when many trees don't color well, the butternuts glow.
    Two of them, side by side, would be too much. They might stop traffic or attract planes flying overhead.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Hey, we were the Butternut State at one time after all!

• ladybug1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. Obviously, a sugar maple was my first thought. I will think about the others too. I would love to go to the UTK arboretum, but I work all week and take care of my mom on weekends so no can do. I don't think she could sit in the car that long and still walk when she got out. SHe gets stiff if she sits very long.

I will check on the butternut too.

Thanks!

• myrtleoak
    15 years ago

Sweet gum! Orange, yellow, red, and purple all on one tree!! Not a fan of sugar maple. Maybe has to do with the fact that there's an 80 year old one that dumps ungodly amounts of leaves in my front yard:( They don't seem personally to be a good choice if our climate continues as it has recently. Sourwood is a very nice, underplanted native that I always endorse.

• fernzilla
    15 years ago

Hello Ladybug:

If you want quick growing trees, I agree a Crepe Myrtle can't be beat. They are very fast growing get about 25' tall, and have gorgeous fall color. mine always turn Orangey Red first, then yellow before the leaves fall.
    Another tre to consider is a Golden Weeping Willow. my Mother had one in our backyard, when I was growing up. It grew fast and reached about 35 or 40 feet. Every fall the leaves turned bright Yellow and it looked like a gigantic golden fountain.
    Maples are gorgeous in the fall, but rather slow in growth.

• myrtleoak
    15 years ago

This really should be planted more...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:423776}}

• midtn
    15 years ago

Sourwood is a great tree. Mine is still small (only about 4 ft tall). It changes early to bright red and pinkish red. It holds the leaves late.

• myrtleoak
    15 years ago

The secret combo is the lily of the valley flowers with the bright red foliage!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists