Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening book for TN

Posted by trekker Z10 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 2, 06 at 0:16

My son and his girlfriend, who live Nashville, have been doing some gardening in yard of the house they are rentilng. I'd like to get them a good gardening book for the region. Here in the West we have the Sunset Western Garden Book, so that's what I have in mind except for the South.

I found a book with a similar title for the south, but is that what I want for them? I'm looking for a book with information about plants and various issues specific to the region. They are novices.

And if anybody can recommend a particularly helpful nursery in the area, that would also be nice. They live 1n town, zip code 37209.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening book for TN

I haven't read your book, but given the similarity between the magazines, I'd suggest the Southern Living Garden Book. I also love Passalong Plants for old fashioned plants of the south.

o

Thanks. What I have in mind is a book with a fairly complete listing of plants by common and botanical names with detail on what grows where. Also information on how to do basic things.

Maybe I should put the question another way: is this the book you expect to see in a nursery as a basic reference? Here in the west it is not unusual for a nursery to have well-used copy of the Sunset book out for people to use.

o

There's no similar guide book here. Just a massive Ortho what to do about what pest book.
The first book I've found that helps with timing of garden chores is linked below. It was written in Knoxville (east of Nashville and about two weeks later, growing season-wise if your son is in the Nashville Metro area; if he's out in the burbs, it should be spot on.
It's pricey, but I enjoy and use mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tennessee Gardening Guide

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the Southern Living Garden Book and according to reviews it is exactly what I want. At least one reviewer compared it to the Sunset garden book. I am sure it will be helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here