Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewelisfabulous

My kingdom for a Sugar Maple!

jewelisfabulous
10 years ago

Does anyone have a source for sugar maples in our state? Every landscaper/nursery I've talked to offers red maples or Japanese maples, but not sugar maples. Even the esteemed Shadow Nursery have told me (both spring and fall) the last two years I've called that they don't have any.

Comments (16)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Maybe Shadow Nursery doesn't carry the common stuff. Sugar maples are actually very common in nurseries around here...even the big box stores. Where are you located? Are you looking for a particular cultivar?

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in Nashville. I'd love a "Legacy".

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Normally, I have access to most larger retail and wholesale nursery inventories in the US. Unfortunately, my computer crashed completely the other day. Now I have a new computer and almost no data. But, I did scrounge up some wholesalers that do (or at least did very recently) have Acer Saccharum 'Legacy'. Some might sell directly to you, but most would probably need to go through a local nursery. I have chosen to list only the ones close to you or a couple that are large enough to be ordered from regularly by local nurseries in your area. So, hopefully this list will help. If not, I'm going to be trying to get my stuff back up and working soon (hopefully).

Commercial Nursery Company, 3654 Knights Church Road, Decherd TN 37324, 931.967.5525

Pleasant Cove Nursery, 2400 Old Rock Island Road, Rock Island TN 38581, 931-686-2215

Valley Hill Nurseries, 237 Jones Lane, Springfield KY 40069, 859-284-5141

Goldleaf Farms - Georgia, 1845 Lower Creighton Road, Ball Ground GA 30107, 770-265-9633

Goldleaf Farms - Mississippi, 4070 Highway 342, Pontotoc MS 38863, 770-265-9633

J. Frank Schmidt & Son, 9500 SE 327th Avenue, Boring OR 97009 (not local, but many local nurseries probably order from them), 503-663-4128

Pender Nursery, 2630 Wall Store Road, Garner NC 27529 (another one that might have local dealers in your area), 919-772-7255

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Oh, BTW, you might come across Tennessee Wholesale Nursery / Garden Delights / a-million-other-aliases, in Altamont TN, listing this tree too. If you try to get it form them, I would be extremely cautious (actually, I wouldn't buy from them at all, but that's up to you).

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

P.P.S.

BTW, I know very little about most of the nurseries listed in the list above, so do whatever research you need to do if you try going direct. Most probably won't be listed on Garden Watchdog, since they are wholesale or primarily wholesale.

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Brandon! I really appreciate all the work you did to help me! I will start calling in February and will hopefully have a sugar maple in hand to plant by late March!

• karilyna
    10 years ago

I have gotten some beautiful maples from SpringHillNurseries com in Thompson Station (off the 840). They have a website you can check. They do both wholesale and retail. Their prices are very good, no warranty, but I have bought over 20 trees and no problems. Some of my trees were very large and had to be delivered. Some we picked up in our truck. Depending on what you are looking for and where you are in Nashville, they may be a good option.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a nursery by that name at that location, Karilyna. The website you give does not exist and there is no nursery near Thompson Station, by that name listed anywhere that I can find. The closest website I see for that name is springhillnursery.com, which is a Garden's Alive affiliate with an absolutely dismal reputation. I wonder if you are thinking of Riverbend and just getting the name and website wrong?

• karilyna
    10 years ago

Brandon7 you are right! It is Riverbend Nurseries in Thompson Station. I live in Spring Hill (Tn) and maybe that is where my fingers took over for my brain. Thanks for catching that.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Riverbend Nurseries just might be a very good source. Their website is www.riverbendnurseries.com (there is another site with a similar name that belongs to a different operation).

I still haven't got my new computer completely configured (still don't have access to the nursery inventories), but I'm working on it. Maybe Riverbend will be the best answer anyway.

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent add'l info. Thank you!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I finally got my computer partially working. Turns out most of the local wholesale sources are listed above. Just in case you want to do more research, here are the other closer sources, not listed above, that might also be worth checking.

Triangle Nursery, 8526 Beersheba Highway, McMinnville TN 37110, 931-668-8022

Moon's Tree Farm, 6327 Highway 20, Loganville GA 30052 (one of those wholesalers that might have local dealers in your area), 770-554-6849

Riverfarm Nursery, 2901 N. Buckeye Lane, PO Box 56, Goshen KY 40026, 800-374-8733 or 502-228-5408

If you decide to let a local nursery get a tree for you, take this list to them. If they can't source one themselves or with this list, they aren't worth their salt.

• OHLD
    10 years ago

Hunter Trees - http://www.huntertrees.com/TreeDetail.aspx?var=1&id=ASL
    I do not know if they do any retail business, good quality excellent rootballs on all my orders. If the distance isnt an issue and you are looking for a high quality tree this is where I would be looking personally.

http://www.sharptoptree.com/ - a little south of chattanooga , not sure about retail

John Deere Landscapes might be able to help you, I say might as lately I am wholly unimpressed with their service commitment, but your Nashville store may be better than the entire GA network.

http://www.hawkersmithnursery.com - I don't buy many trees out of TN, but when I do this is probably one of the highest quality growers in TN (lower quality than growers in GA & AL as a generalization, they typically serve a different market)

I purchase trees for a living for a large landscape contractor in GA and focus on quality material. There are many growers, but there are major differences in quality above and below ground. I am a wholesale buyer, so I am not sure if any of the above three will do retail, I hope one will help you out.

Hope this helps.

• jewelisfabulous
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Thanks, Brandon and OHLD for the excellent help!

• treebird101
    10 years ago

Any suggestions for a mail order nursery that sells sugar maple cultivars? I know Forest Farm nursery has a few sugar maple cultivars but not the ones I am looking for like Fall Fiesta, Green Mountain, Legacy, or Commemoration. Wish some one had clones of these to order through the mail. I've searched but came up empty.

• topsiebeezelbub
    10 years ago

Earthtouch in Huntsville Al always has them...my yard is full of them...I dig up 100s of babies a year...have given many away.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville