Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtleoak

hardy Gardenias

myrtleoak
17 years ago

Anyone had luck with the new hardy gardenias? I saw a guy who had a 5 footer, so I went out and bought my own. Looks kind of rough right now!

Comments (8)

• mooses10
    17 years ago

have you checked out the suicidal gardenia thread? It pretty much lists everything about gardenias in any zone you would possibly like to know, it is a bit long, but very humorous to read, make sure you have some tissues handy to wipe the tears out of your eyes after laughing.

• laguna
    15 years ago

i have good luck in zone 7a with griff's select (better habit than kleins), but a late frost/cold snap took all leaves off and it took months eo recover one year didn't bloom well in shade

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I bought a couple of the frost proof varieties 2 springs ago. The first year it didn't really do much, a bloom here and there. But last year it bloomed repeatedly like crazy!! I did absolutely nothing to this bush but put it in the ground (I will confess no amendments were made). It is planted on the west side of my house so it is shaded from early morning sun. but gets afternoon sun. Very intense fragrance too for so little work!!

Mary

• madmouser
    15 years ago

I got a species hardy gardenia from Logees a couple of years ago. It didn't do much for the first year, but have six blooms on it this fall. I was surprised, it doesn't get much sun. Really strong fragrance.
    It seems to be weathering this cold just fine. It had a couple of buds on it when we had the first frost last fall and they're still there and green.
    It does get a lot of sun in the winter which may be helping it along. Its leaves are all nice and green and it has been disease and bug free. It is near the bird fountain and bird bath so the birds do check it for bugs frequently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy species gardenia

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

wow $10 for a 2.5 inch pot? It's late so hopefully I read that incorrectly. I don't remember what I paid locally for the frost free but I know it was cheaper for a much bigger plant.

Mary

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

I love gardenias!

I tend to lose mine during the summers more than the winters. But I've got a big one that I'm nervous about after Thursday night. I won't really know how it did til spring comes around!

• madmouser
    15 years ago

I got on sale last year, half price I believe. And Logees plants are a lot bigger than it sounds from the size of the pot. The plant itself was about a foot high with several branches.

• swanky
    15 years ago

I have a Gardenis that I got at random at a Big Box store years ago. I t made it through 3 winters without losing a leaf! Never turned brown. Last summer it took off and is now about 3-4 feet tall. This winter was hard on it. I covered it some with a Planket, but it still got lots of brown leaves this last cold windy spell. But it looks like it will recover. Blooms every spring and fall now. Usually dozens of smaller blooms.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting