Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing sweet potatoes

Posted by tomerrol z7atn (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 11 at 9:21

I live in middle Tn,Z7a, and this coming year I want to grow sweet potatoes (my first time) I want to grow my own "slips", I need some information from experience sweet tater growers. how to grow the slips, when to start growing the slips to have them in time to plant, when to plant, what type of soil? I have researched some on the internet, but I would like to hear from others around my area.
thanks
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing sweet potatoes

They say don't put the starts out until June but I always fudged a little, like May 1-15. The ground is usually warm by then. You can get sweet potatoes now or in a month, they get harder to find in a store the longer winter goes on. Make some notes of dates etc for next year, your mileage may vary, as they say.
They will root stuck halfway into a glass/jar of water or laid on the side half buried in a box of moist sand. It does take a while for them to start and hard to say but you might average 10-12 slips per 'tator. They will have long roots if you use water so spread them out when you plant.

o
RE: growing sweet potatoes

thanks rockguy for the information. I have already bought the sweet potaoes I'm going to use for the sprouts. I may put some in water, and a few buried in old sawdust or compost.
thanks again
Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here