Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amazindirttn

Adeniums

Amazindirt (7a TN)
16 years ago

Well, I'm about to become the proud momma of three new adeniums. One unnamed variegate, 'Harry Potter', and 'Lucky Pink'. All will be small plants (6-8" tall).

I've kept an unnamed ademium alive for three or four years now, but I haven't made it happy enough to bloom yet. Any of y'all who are already adenium-obsessed wanna give me hints on how to get the most out of these plants? :-)

Comments (7)

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

I have one seedling from Nat that is about two years old and bloomed it's head off the first year and one seedling that is twice as old and has never bloomed and is still small. Go figure~ Anywho, I put mine in the blazing sun in the summer and water them daily like my tropicals and they are both really happy! The big one did not bloom this year because I topped it to make it branch.

Rebecca

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found this extremely helpful page today:

http://adenium.tucsoncactus.org/large.html

My babies should be arriving in the mail today. I'm excited!

Here is a link that might be useful: growing adeniums

• maternut
    16 years ago

Did you order the plants? I went to the site you posted,and would love to get one or two. The blooms look like, some crown of thorns that I have blooming. Lots of difference in the stalk or trunk though.
    Norm

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Norm --

I got them off ebay, from a seller who also has a web site. I am sad, though, because they didn't make it here today. :-( I'm hoping they don't get too cold before they get here!

The adenium flowers are much bigger than crown of thorns. Sort of like pansies, in a general way.

The link below is not the seller I bought mine from, but it has pics of lots of varieties --

Here is a link that might be useful: adenium pics

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gawd, I'm brain dead. I meant to say petunias, not pansies -- and I meant only in general shape.

• TnShadyLady
    16 years ago

Ione,
    Adeniums seem to need a rest period. I store mine completely dormant from November to late April - zero water in a dark, cool closet.

During the summer, I keep mine in full sun on a concrete pad so that they get plenty of warmth. I feed them every one to two weeks, and water daily during the hottest part of the summer. They do need to be grown in a quick draining soil mixture.

Mine were blooming machines this summer and formed tons of seed pods. Unfortunately, the seed pods are falling off one by one now. I am hopeful that I might salvage a pod or two if lucky.

I have read conflicting growing instructions. Some growers never feed and water seldom - - and still get great blooms. Others like me, treat them more like they do their plumerias.

You should see my chubby little seedlings that I started a couple of months ago. VERY cute and some are showing white veins which I hope is a sign of variegation to come.

• TnShadyLady
    16 years ago

Well, in reading Ione's link, it gives basically the same information that I did. Suppose I should have read it first before jumping in. So, I give my blessing to her link!

Also for anyone else that is wanting a new addiction/collection, these are easily started from seed. And the seed can be ordered from some of the top Thai growers for a reasonable price on Ebay.

I hope to have seedlings ready for the Knox spring swap!