Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs came up in December after warm weather

Posted by lpennock 6B (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 07 at 12:17

We planted bulbs near the end of November, and after the unseasonably warm weather this past week in Tennessee (Mid 70's on Dec 10th!) they've already come up. The tulips and daffodils are peaking through, and the crocus is already several inches high. Are they ruined for the spring, or will they re-freeze, go dormant again, and come up again in spring as normal?

Is there anything I need to do to them given the strange weather we've had?

Thanks,

-Lewis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs came up in December after warm weather

Yeah, mine started coming up in November, I think. :-/

It's not ideal, but usually they'll figure things out for themselves. The foliage may freeze back, but don't panic.

o

Our bulbs came up also. I cut our banana trees back, and now they are two feet tall.

o

YOUR CROCUS SHOULD BE FINE MINE HAVE BEEN BLOOMING BEFORE WITH SNOW ON THE GROUND...

o

My Dutch Iris have been confused for years, some of them put up in the winter.

o

I saw this as an opportunity!

Since I needed to fetch several that have "migrated" as well as relocate many of our bulbs to ensure I don't damage them while installing the Red Raspberry, Brandywine Purple Raspberry, Autumn Gold Raspberry and BlackBerry plants I'll be putting in in the next few weeks, I used this opportunity to carefully dig and divide all the bulbs that were sprouting, and place them in a temporary bed until they freeze, die back, and go dormant again.

I was pleasantly surprised to find quite a few earth worms in the planting beds and only one solitary grub. and I was happy to see this brick-quarry y'all call "soil" down here is finally softening up and getting loamy like real dirt is supposed to be. It has only taken 4 years and double digging several yards of compost, leaf mold, and mulch, to get it there though. arrgh!

Ohh bulbs, yeah... Perfect opportunity to dig and divide them, yeah!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here