Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maternut

Camellia Blooming

maternut
16 years ago

We have a camellia planted on the south, south east side of our house that is in bloom now. Think maybe we will have a early spring, or is it just a crazy mixed up plant.

Norm

Comments (9)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

It's just being a camellia. ;-) I have camellias that just finished blooming, and one about to start. Heck, I've still got asters blooming! And I can't wait for my daphne and witch hazels to start. Hooray for winter bloomers. :-)

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

Where can I get winter daphne?

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Keep looking! Off-hand, I can't remember where mine came from. Uhhhhhh........CRS strikes again! Oh, I do remember. I think it came from BB Barnes nursery in Asheville. Great nursery! :-)

Mine has done very well in a large pot for the last couple of years. It is covered with buds that are just about to open. I hope they don't get blasted during this week's cold snap!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Speaking of camellias, I just found a great site yesterday. Check it out -- they're in NC, and they've got more hardy camellias than even I could possibly cram into my property!

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Forest nursery

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

They also sell some other neat stuff, so, while you're checking out their site, be sure to look through their "Other Plants" tab. We've considered getting some Magnolias from them for the OR Arboretum.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

We bought a variegated Daphne in late fall '05 from True Blue nursery near Myrtle Beach SC. Left it outside in a pot all winter and planted it in early spring '06. By the end of the summer, it was dead. It was the prettiest shrub (when it was alive)! Our camellias aren't showing any signs of blooming yet. I know one blooms near last frost and one that should be blooming now, but it struggled during the drought this year.

Rebecca

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Brandon -- Yeah, what I REALLY want is one -- or two or three -- of their Japanese flowering apricots. IwantIwantIwant!! And didja see that they have a variegated camellia???? Be still my beating heart!!

Rebecca -- my winter Daphne is variegated too (of course ;-) ). I also have D. 'Briggs Moonlight', and til this year I also had 'Carol Mackie'. Daphnes are famous for up and dying sometimes, unfortunately, and they are very picky about drainage. But I bet you already know all that!

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

My Yuletide sasanqua had two blooms opening and then...12 degrees:( That seems to be a risk you run with a "true" winter-blooming camellia (Late Dec.-Jan.). The other closed blooms may be OK though, we'll see (It's called Yuletide, but mine never blooms at Christmas!). Greensboro Red seems to come out late Feb. usually.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Yeah, I had one with its first bloom just starting to open, too. I haven't looked at it yet to see how it did. I'll cross my fingers for both of us.

I'm also crossing my fingers for my daphne's buds. We'll see this week!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus