Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia Blooming

Posted by maternut 7 west tn (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 07 at 12:18

We have a camellia planted on the south, south east side of our house that is in bloom now. Think maybe we will have a early spring, or is it just a crazy mixed up plant.
Norm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia Blooming

It's just being a camellia. ;-) I have camellias that just finished blooming, and one about to start. Heck, I've still got asters blooming! And I can't wait for my daphne and witch hazels to start. Hooray for winter bloomers. :-)

o

Where can I get winter daphne?

o

Keep looking! Off-hand, I can't remember where mine came from. Uhhhhhh........CRS strikes again! Oh, I do remember. I think it came from BB Barnes nursery in Asheville. Great nursery! :-)

Mine has done very well in a large pot for the last couple of years. It is covered with buds that are just about to open. I hope they don't get blasted during this week's cold snap!

o
camellia nursery

Speaking of camellias, I just found a great site yesterday. Check it out -- they're in NC, and they've got more hardy camellias than even I could possibly cram into my property!

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Forest nursery

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 31, 07 at 13:33

They also sell some other neat stuff, so, while you're checking out their site, be sure to look through their "Other Plants" tab. We've considered getting some Magnolias from them for the OR Arboretum.

o

We bought a variegated Daphne in late fall '05 from True Blue nursery near Myrtle Beach SC. Left it outside in a pot all winter and planted it in early spring '06. By the end of the summer, it was dead. It was the prettiest shrub (when it was alive)! Our camellias aren't showing any signs of blooming yet. I know one blooms near last frost and one that should be blooming now, but it struggled during the drought this year.

Rebecca

o

Brandon -- Yeah, what I REALLY want is one -- or two or three -- of their Japanese flowering apricots. IwantIwantIwant!! And didja see that they have a variegated camellia???? Be still my beating heart!!

Rebecca -- my winter Daphne is variegated too (of course ;-) ). I also have D. 'Briggs Moonlight', and til this year I also had 'Carol Mackie'. Daphnes are famous for up and dying sometimes, unfortunately, and they are very picky about drainage. But I bet you already know all that!

o

My Yuletide sasanqua had two blooms opening and then...12 degrees:( That seems to be a risk you run with a "true" winter-blooming camellia (Late Dec.-Jan.). The other closed blooms may be OK though, we'll see (It's called Yuletide, but mine never blooms at Christmas!). Greensboro Red seems to come out late Feb. usually.

o

Yeah, I had one with its first bloom just starting to open, too. I haven't looked at it yet to see how it did. I'll cross my fingers for both of us.

I'm also crossing my fingers for my daphne's buds. We'll see this week!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here