Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countrycarolyn

What I am doing this winter!!

countrycarolyn
13 years ago

Well I am excited winter solstice is only a few days away, whoooo hoooo!! Well I got my containers, I got my seeds, I got my potting mix, I am ready!!

Here is what I started in october these are seeds that need 3 seasons to germinate. In a few days I will be adding more to this. Then I will continue to add containers through till march. So I will be busy this winter!!

{{gwi:442426}}

What are you doing this winter??

Comments (15)

• msbatt
    13 years ago

Have you used containers like that coffee can and the Great Value whatever before? I thought they had to be translucent. And are the smaller soft drink bottles big enough?

In case you can't tell, I haven't winter-sowed before. (*grin*)

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes and believe it or not others have used them also. Some actually prefer the coffee can. Then some prefer the cottage cheese containers, which is just like the great value container. The soda bottles/ water bottles are my favorite. I do not need a milk gallon full of seeds. So I use smaller containers and so few. Plus my mother drinks the flavored water from sam's or walmart and they are in major abundance at her house. I get her to save them for me.

Here is last years after germination you can also see I am using the same bottles this year that are in this picture!!

{{gwi:215655}}

Here is one of the plants in the picture above. It is in the top row 2nd from the right hand corner.

{{gwi:251178}}

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Msbatt or anyone else interested, here is a link to a thread on the winter sowing forum. It is a discussion on what kind of containers to use. It also has some rules of thumb to go by when picking out a container.

I should of posted this yesterday and it just slipped my mind.

Enjoy!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Containers

• columbiastock
    13 years ago

Last year was my first time to winter sow. I used both water bottles (my favorite, smaller and are quicker to place into larger pots or to just plant into the garden) and gallon jugs, juice jugs. Used a wood burning kit I had to burn the holes.

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I heard someone else say something about a wood burning kit to burn holes. That sounds like an awesome idea!!

Are you going to winter sow this year??

I am so excited to start. I have my potting mix in my kitchen it should be thawed by now. I still have to finish cutting the rest of my containers. Though everything else is ready to go!!

• Maggie4
    13 years ago

Looks like you are having success with your winter garden. I can't start mine until Feb/March. Hope you aren't getting too cold with this cold front.

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well today is actually warmer than what it has been, it is suppose to reach 48F so I am happy. Tomorrow is a high of 49F.

Tomorrow is winter solstice, so I will be adding more containers that need 2 seasons to germinate. I am excited about winter sowing this year. The cold will be good for the seeds so I hope the temps stay reasonably low.

Maggie why do you have to wait to start your seeds in febuary or march?? Granted some of my seeds I will also start at that time, but a lot of seeds can be started now.

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well here is what I added today!! I am not going for any neatness award, lol. I hope everyone has a great holiday!!

{{gwi:215654}}

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I have added a few more containers to my collection. We got our first real snow thursday and friday. This picture was taken Friday afternoon.

On the left you will notice that I have a lasagna pan inside a comforter bag!!

{{gwi:215738}}

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And we found sprouts today, this was sowed january the 4th, virginia stock. This is the lasagna pan inside the comforter bag!!

{{gwi:350414}}

• barefootedgardener
    13 years ago

I love the bellflowers. I wintersowed some last year and have thoroughly enjoy them. I'm impressed with you guys!!! Has anybody tried Baby Blue Eyes?

I wait until February so my plants don't get too big before I can plant them outside. Maybe I shouldn't wait but transplant the seedlings into 4" pots and hold them in my little greenhouse until it's warm enough. Any thoughts?

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I never bump up my pots, unless it is a tree or shrub, but yes some have tried baby blue eyes.

One thing about wsing is that the seeds will germinate when they are ready. So it isn't like they will be huge before you plant them out. This plant here is a cool season annual. So that blooms pretty much all year but it loves cool weather the best.

I do not mess with green houses either, this system we do not have to harden off and we don't have to worry about damp off. If you were to plant in a green house you have both of those that you will need to plan for.

My tulips are already coming up, so it won't be long and I will be ready to plant!!

• columbiastock
    13 years ago

All you plants look so great. I noticed one of the containers as a spice jar, great idea and the comforter bag, :).

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you columbiastock, I can not take credit for the comforter bag. I wished I could but someone else had posted a picture and they were using it, I thought it was awesome.

Here is what I found yesterday, this is Lupinus perennis or wild prairie lupine, it is the only food source for the endangered blue karner butterfly!!

• countrycarolyn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well as of today I have 60 types that have germinated so almost half of what I have sown.

Here are a few pictures to update you guys!! Enjoy!!

This is the lasagna pan inside the comforter bag.
    {{gwi:226421}}

Wild chicory, fireweed, spiderwort have germinated here.

{{gwi:361292}}

Black hollyhock

{{gwi:361281}}

Goji berry

{{gwi:361288}}

Alpine strawberry

{{gwi:361289}}

Jacobs ladder

{{gwi:361291}}

Indian paintbrush

{{gwi:361295}}

Chocolate flower

{{gwi:361285}}

Many more but there are a few for you guys!! I can't wait to show ya the bloomers!!