Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sthrngrdnbelle

Acidic garden

sthrngrdnbelle
15 years ago

Does anybody have any ideas for organic amendments for an extremely acidic vegetable patch? The more frugal the better. Also, is anyone out there planting anything right now?

Carrie

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

I think most organic amendments would tend to increase the acidity of your soil. Lime (in various forms) is commonly used to raise the pH of soil (make it less acidic). Wood ash can also raise soil pH, but has drawbacks and is not as commonly recommended. If you are wanting to improve the texture of your soil with organic material, it would be fine to use the organic material in addition to lime. Compost plus lime should do wonders for your soil. You may also want to do regular soil tests to ensure that you don't over or undercompensate with your pH adjustment.

I'm rooting some cuttings, but holding off on everything else for a while. I grew trays and trays of things last year and am still a little burnt out on having to water and take care of all those seedlings for such a long time. The electricity wasn't cheap either.

• sthrngrdnbelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Brandon, I can relate about overdoing it. I tried to start trays and trays of seeds indoors under grow lights, but only one or two things sprouted and those didn't make it outside. Not to mention all of the tomato seedlings that I bought and didnt produce b/c the soil was out of whack. Thanks for the advice again.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

I may plant a Hasidic garden this year - no cross-breeding of veggies. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Lye and ammonia will decrease acidity too. Compost is great for getting a soil more neutral. Ground-up limestone is perfect because it's a slow release deal but Quick Lime or wood ashes may actually burn your plants because they release too quickly. If you're too acidic, whatever you do...DON'T ADD PEAT MOSS!

Hey, we're only 134 1/2 days from The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap!!!

• fennydendron
    15 years ago

Hi,
    there is a common misconception that organic amendmendments and materials are either acidic or make your soil acidic.Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Soil chemistry is only determined by its underlying geology and what organic material you add will not alter the pH permanently.After organic materials break down they always become neutral which is ideal for most plants.If you are not happy with your soil the best approach in my experience is to construct raised beds and fill them with compost and then grow everything in them,except those plants that prefer a low pH.This method has many other advantages as well.
    By the way,what I said about the soil chemistry is not my opinion,it is the knowledge I accumulated in more than 20 years as a professional nurseryman.
    Good luck with your garden and don't be reluctant to experiment and try new things,it is the best way to learn.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Fennydendron,

I think that if you check, you will find comments like the ones I will quote below in most scientific and educational material that addresses the subject. The effect can be small compared to other soil additives, but it certainly exists. It would be a misconception to overlook organic material's contribution to soil acidity. The practice of adding organic material like peat moss or similar organic materials is frequently suggested for plants like rhododendrons and blueberries specifically to increase soil acidity.

Since the effect of adding organic material on the soil's pH is relatively small and its benefit to the soil's structure and tilth can be helpful, adding organic material is generally a very good thing. In some instances, as I eluded to earlier, other additives can be used to counter any increase in acidity.

The decomposition of organic matter also adds to soil acidity." - Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service

"Peat, oak-leaf mold, or evergreen needles worked into the soil will gradually lower the pH..." - Iowa State University Cooperative Extension

"Decaying organic matter produces H+ which is responsible for acidity. The carbon dioxide (CO2) produced by decaying organic matter reacts with water in the soil to form a weak acid called carbonic acid. This is the same acid that develops when CO2 in the atmosphere reacts with rain to form acid rain naturally. Several organic acids are also produced by decaying organic matter, but they are also weak acids." - Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

BTW, Fennydendron, all soil additives that change soil pH really only have a temporary effect. The amount of time varies with different additives, but nothing is really permanent. With gardening, a permanent change isn't necessary. Plants have a finite life and if additional additives are needed down the road, they can be easily added. Organic material (as well as other types of additives) placed on top of the soil will be worked down into the soil by worms, other soil organisms, water drainage, etc. Basically, saying that soil chemistry is only determined by its underlying geology is drastically oversimplified (at best) and overlooks many factors in the past, present and future.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner