Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gerbera Daisy from Seed

Posted by nitrocad z6Tn (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 07 at 20:12

Have any of you tried growing gerbera daisies from seed? Did you start them indoors, or sow them directly in the soil? Who has the best price on the seed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gerbera Daisy from Seed

Found this post in the Growing From Seed Forum writen by george5il. No pretreatment required, lightly cover the seed. Soil temp 68-72 F and takes 10 to 14 days to germinate. Transplant after 6 weeks. Produces a plant in a 4" pot in 24 weeks (blooming). Parks has seed adv. Hope this helps.
Norm

o

When Gerberas were first introduced, I was in Houston and they were (for my budget) way too expensive. So I got seeds and they sprouted easily at room temperature in my house. I used a grow light (it was February and the sun seldom came out) and got two inch plants easily.
But then I put them in my hard, hard, hard black clay, emended not enough, and lost them. The production ones I'd boutht the previous year didn't last that well either.
But there was no internet then and I really didn't realize how different Houston was from South Africa.

o

Gerberas are beautiful things, aren't they? I bought several over this past season from markdown tables. Gonna see if they make it through the winter outside -- I have seen reports that they can -- and keep a couple in pots indoors to see if they'll survive in the house. I wish both of us luck!

o

Have any of you ordered gerbera daisy seed from sunrise seed? You can get 60-80 seeds for $3.95. Best price I have seen.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 12, 07 at 19:20

They do have a 100% rating on Garden Watchdog (with only 7 votes). That's a good sign!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise Seed Review

o

Hey all... never started them from seed but listen to this i still have 5 that the frost hasnt gotten to around my rosemary bush next to my asparigus fern(both of which are still green) that are still green and a couple of weeks ago during the week of 70 degree days one ever shot a bloom up and just as it started to open bam frost got the bloom only. the plants still look good though...this is just one weird winter...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here