Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomstrees

I broke down .... I could wait any longer !!!!

tomstrees
18 years ago

My friends from Crete (Greece) came in to town and they brought me a bottle of Greek olive oil ....

I was so excited , and needed tomatoes and bread fast ~

With all the talk here @ GW, I couldn't wait until June/July for a ripe mater !!!

So I went to the Pathmark, and bought 3 "beefsteak" type tomatoes ....

What I ended up doing was letting the tomatoes sit in the olive oil over night with crushed garlic , and pepper ....

And I have to confess, with all the "doctoring" up, it came out pretty good !

Please , don't judge me for buying tomatoes !!! lol !!! ~ Tom

ps. it was prob. the oil that did the trick ;0) !!!!

Comments (6)

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Tom,

There's certainly no crime in using a store bought tomato as a platform for good olive oil and garlic.

I woulda put a generous dose of fresh basil in the mix myself.

Bona grubbola.

Bill

• tomstrees
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bill,
    I'm with you on the basil thing ; during growing season its mostly what I grow between my maters .... but it seems like they rip you off for herbs these days at the store ~ I had to break down and get some a few weeks ago ~ I dried them so I wouldn't feel like I was "too" ripped off !!!!
    ~ Tom
    ps. thanks for your understanding ;0)

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Tom,

I customarily grow several different types of basil in between and in front of my tomatoes.

This year I grew Cinnamon Basil, Lettuce Leaf, Genovese, Sweet, and Globe. Sometimes I save seeds to see if I get a good cross, but mostly it seems to degenerate after two of three years, and it seems to be more productive if I buy fresh seeds each year.

The worst basil I tried was Blue Spice (a hybrid) ... weird flavor and funky aroma!

You're so right! Even wholesale you get ripped off. The reason I grow so much basil is to supply a friend of mine who purees it into pesto for his pizza shop/Italian eatery. Otherwise, he has to buy it in pints at about 9 - 15 bucks each!

The last two years he hasn't had to buy any pesto from July until May (he freezes it).

I freeze a little pesto myself, and dry the remains of the plants at the end of the season for my own kitchen use.

When I do what you did with the tomatoes, I liberally (the only way!) sprinkle the marinating toms with dry basil and let it rehydrate in the ex.virg. olive oil and fresh lemon juice laced with fresh crushed GARLIC. Then I top it off just before eatin' with cracked black pepper and fresh grated Parm.

Yum, yum.

Bill

• tomstrees
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bill,

maybe we've caught onto something here ... maybe have a store where you can eat fresh tomatoes (prepared in different styles ; using them in the freshest way possible) ; and a produce area to buy them as well as fresh herbs ... oh the ideas are flowing ! ~ Tom

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Tom,

If you're really interested, there is a restaurant for sale here (in Evansville) called the Vintage Tomato. Currently it's owned by an American couple who renamed it from its original name, The Crazy Tomato.

It was founded about 10 or 12 years ago by a Sicilian fellow who used his mother and grandmother's authentic recipes. Then an Egyptian operated it for several years until about two years ago. The Egyptian fellow was one of the seven guys arrested here and tried in Alexandria, Va., following 9/11, and acquitted. So, it has a colorful history, and ...

It has the right name for your theme. All else you would need is a big greenhouse, oh, about 100 hours a week dedicated to work on your feet, and a really loyal staff of about 20 people who you can trust to support your efforts.

My real advice as a former restaurant owner ... don't get into the business ... it's a surefire heart attack. It's better to just enjoy good food at home with family or eating out with friends.

Bill

• tomstrees
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bill,

I hear you on all the work involved in the restaurant buiz. Coming from a long line of greek relatives that own diners, I know how long the hours and days are !
    I originaly went to college for hotel/rest management - but after a tri-mester changed out to marketing/sales management - not to say that, thats any easier ! lol ~

But maybe something seasonal ? Memorial Day - Labor Day . Open from Thurs. to Sunday 3-9 ... Now that would be something to consider ! Now if only I had a prime seasonal location, the capital, the greenhouse, and those employees !!! I'd be set ~ Tom