Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hortist

need help

hortist
18 years ago

Im sure CoronaBarb was jumping at that subject thread - but not that kind of help - not yet anyway.

I have been revamping my webpage and would like feedback.

The last date on some of these pages' files was 11/95! I had thought I had the webpage 'up' originally around 9/95 but some of the b/u photo files date back to 94'.

So far most of what I have done has been aesthetic, mainly applying margins to each page so they read better, but I have made a few other changes.

First I am seriously cutting down the links page. I used to have over 600 links but it gets difficult to keep checking them to see if they remain active (I do have a program that checks). I'd say over 90% are gone or 'moved'.

Now it is easier to find things on the internet then it was back in 95'. Back then, to me, it was like someone threw the all libraries entire card catalogs onto the floor and said 'have at it' and "good luck finding it again". No wonder Google stock is so high - now one can usually find most things through them. So I am not as concerned with maintaining that many links. Most important or interesting external links I will try to eventually put with the relevant topics.

I got permission from Roger @ TGRC to directly link to pictures of different species in the taxonomy section. SO that section is changed. I only had 2-3 poorly scanned photos of species from when I was at NCSU as they were being investigated for late blight resistance. Thanks to TGRC I now have almost complete and much better examples:

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/Tomato/ecomplx.html

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/Tomato/pcomplx.html

Im slowly going through the 'disease' area and adding more info and changing the formatting. Let me know what you think. I wonder if the key is difficult for most to 'follow'.

Here is the 'old'

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/Tomato/oldd_out1.html

and the 'new'

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/Tomato/d_out1.html

I realize I still need more information about actual cultural methods (things like indet vs det and such) and insects but that is much later down the road. Most people look at the disease, taxonomic and crossing sections.

I will likely change the index page to an entry point (and not have direct links there). I tend NOT to like that on company pages and such but I think it will make for a cleaner look and that will be directed to a page with the links and a better breakdown of what the site contains, why I wrote it, acknowledgments and such.

Dont worry about offending me, I wont be (as long as you keep it to the pages). Dont be offended if I dont change something either.

I appreciate any suggestions. Even spelling because I am somewhat dyslexic and writing all the html in notepad so I have no spell checker.

Also if anyone knows where to get a FREE counter that one can customize the colors Id appreciate that as well.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: My webpage

Comments (7)

• jimm_sc
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would try www.bravenet.com they are a good source for free html/java goodies. They are also completly FREE!

-Andrew (CabbagePatchKid)
    (Visiting Grandpa)

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Keith,

I've had you Website in my favorites for almost a year and find it interesting and well done. Looking at it recently, I find that on your page Tomato Mutations , the only two hyperlinks that appear active are:

Ripening Mutants and TAM Tomato Biotechnology Group .

The rest give the message "the page can no longer be displayed." Will you be updating those links, or providing new links to images associated with the particular mutations. Mutations and information about associated genes hold a certain facination.

Bill

• hortist
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bill

Im not sure. Those images got moved around when SolGene was re-organized. Some of the original images and citations are now in databases which I cant address with a url.

I'd like to but I not sure figuring out how is really that worth it.

That is also a page I hadn't got to yet. Any page without margins I havent touched yet.

Thanks,
    Keith

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Keith, I'd be glad to take a look when I get a chance, but I've just GOT to get these seeds packed to send to Israel so I may not have dedicated time for over a week or so.

Are you on a stable server now? Remember the years when your page would come and go as went the servers? LOL

We'd say OK, where did Keith go this time? ( smile)

Carolyn

• nctom
    18 years ago

Keith,
    Your website is terrific. It now has a place in my favorites. I looked at the Problem Solver 2 thread a lot last year. If your site isn't listed there, it needs to be.

Tim

• hortist
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This server seems pretty stable. I have been on it since 10/2002.

Someone in Korea beat me to the domain "tomato.info" and is "sitting on it" basically. They want lots of money to sell off the right to it. Forget that. A simple domain name would help. I just dont see a need to pay money when I am not making money from it. I dont know about the current admin but others let me have space because I was generating more hits on their servers. Two servers just up and disappeared and my files got screwed up. I actually found one link yesterday from ncsu.edu! That was at least 7 years ago.

google has been up to date since 2002 though - try googling "esculentum validium" and you will get a link to an old ncsu copy someone put up in their page.

Tim I can't go to the problem solver forum because I will get sucked in trying to answer questions. It's hard without good pictures to tell whats going on many times. I actually enjoy Dx'ing plants - when I can see them.

• hortist
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bill

Ok, I made changes and Im trying to build link to photos I can find.

http://kdcomm.net/~tomato/Tomato/mutant.html

I intend to add a foliage section later.

K

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting