Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikey1954

My oh my, what a beautiful day!!

big_mike
18 years ago

It all started with a rare Saturday off. Wifey is off galavanting with her sisters. Not a single phone call from work came. The snow's gone. The high today was 57, in Kansas in January, no less. I fired up the smoker and put on a weeks worth of meat. Pork roast to shred and make pulled pork sandwiches, brats, a chicken, some burgers. Yum. Went out the shop and finished 1 project and started another. Walked to the library to return a book and check out another, which I've yet to open, btw. Washed my car and then got the old pickup started and took yard junkage to the brush dump. In short, I loved every minute of this day off. Makes me want to retire.

Comments (4)

• PaulF_Ne
    18 years ago

Absolutely!! 61 F here today and mid-sixties predicted for Sunday. All the indoor honey-do list was put on hold by the understanding wife all last week and the outdoor projects left over from Fall were started up again. The last five dead pine trees were debranched and the logs cut up and the limbs taken to the brush dump. Lots of brush cut, the garden area smoothed out and marked for Spring. And best of all me and the dog (Lab- Golden Retriever mix) just hung out in the yard. Since retirement, I get to enjoy all the unseasonably warm days in January.

• worth1
    18 years ago

Oh yes itÂs just wonderful, the whole state is on fire warnings I cant even light the BBQ.
    My right eye is twitching from all of the stress from trying to get this house-buying thing settled.
    No rain in three months.
    And now I find out you can cook brats on the pit as opposed to just having to put up with them at the store.
    What kind of pills are you all taking, send me some quick

Worth

• big_mike
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Worth, it gets better. Being a devout Chirstian, my church friends look at me funny when I say something Zennish, but without the bad, we wouldn't know how to appreciate the good. Our volunteer fire dept. had been out at least once a day for the last 2 weeks until we got 7 inches of wet, heavy snow. You'll get you some rain before long. And that house-buying WILL become a satisfaction. Just plug along and look forward to the better days ahead. This was the first actual "day-off" I'd had in 2 months. If I wasn't working, I was at a Christmas program, party or dinner or I was following my wife around the stores. The only human I even saw all day was the librarian. I needed that really bad. Hang in there.

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

Mike, glad you had a great day to rejunevate the soul. I love my DW but sometimes I need a day by myself to putter around and if I get lonesome, which is rare, my loyal lab Duke is always around to go play fetch and share a sandwich.

We have actually had the sun appear the last 2 days. It isn't warm, but to not see grey sky is a treat unto itself.

Worth, it will get better. This is the time of year that it takes every second of will power to not jump in my truck and head south-bound! I still might do it. Look for that little farm .......

Duane

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions