Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coronabarb

Humorous Recipe Postings

coronabarb
18 years ago

This recipe appeared in Gourmet Magazine in Nov., 2001. Reviews have been pouring in for over 4 yrs, over 600 of them! Very funny reading...

SALTED WATER FOR BOILING

When salting water for cooking, use 1 tablespoon of salt for every 4 quarts of water.

Gourmet, November 2001

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe Reviews

Comments (17)

• reginak
    18 years ago

That made my day, the reviews are hilarious!

• MarDar
    18 years ago

That was great! Thanks for sharing it. I think I'll make this for dinner tonight.
    Tamar

• jimster
    18 years ago

I made this and it was O.K., but nothing special. It needs something.

Jim

• coronabarb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"It needs something."

I like to put garlic in most dinners...maybe some fresh garlic would help...

• hortist
    18 years ago

I love her but...

I guarantee my wife would burn it

• jimster
    18 years ago

I made this recipe again. (Some reviewers raved over it, so I wanted to give it a second chance.)

This time I thickened it with flour. (Some reviewers have said it was too watery.)

The strangest thing happened. As I was eating it, memories of grade school art class started coming back.

Jim

• worth1
    18 years ago

For the life of me I canÂt figure out how to make this one a low sodium recipe.
    Worth

• bcday
    18 years ago

I tried cooking this for my dog, but she wouldn't eat it. Maybe I should add a soup bone to it?

The problem is, ever since I let her read the "Dogs in Elk" story all she wants is her own elk, and lame substitutes just don't cut it.

I guess I'll try the soup bone anyway.

-- BC --

• joule
    18 years ago

A stone, it needs a stone!!

• jimster
    18 years ago

"I canÂt figure out how to make this one a low sodium recipe."

Just leave out the salt.

Jim

• bejay9_10
    18 years ago

My question is when pressure canning - if I live at sea level, what should the reading be on my Presto dial gauge (they say 11 sometimes - more at higher altitudes), and how long should 10 pint jars (stacked) take to be "safe" for future use?

Bejay

• zucchini
    18 years ago

just add pasta...now about stirring! well that may take another recipe.

• worth1
    18 years ago

Try sea salt for a real taste treat.

• TinSB
    18 years ago

What kind of water?? It doesn't say!!!!

• coronabarb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Some of the really funny reviews:

cookertas from Shelton, WA on 01/09/06
    Can I prepare this in advance and freeze it for later use? Should I freeze the water and the salt separately? Since it rains here all the time, can I use the water that's piled up on my flat roof, or do I have to use the "forspecial" water from the sink thingy? I hear some people in fancy cities who don't have to wear boots to get to their trucks actually BUY water in bottles (HA! That's funny! Pull the other one!) and if you think I'm going to go along with that scam, well think again! I know what "Evian" spelled back'ards is!

diningd on 01/04/06
    I made this for my husband last night and he licked his bowl clean!

duncans from Tighnabruaich, Argyll, Scotland on 11/27/05
    ThatÂs pure brilliant, by the way! I hud bin champion Âo the Tighnabruaich Highland Games fer the last 10 year. That is until Hamish McWhirter stole ma title last summer. To regain ma crown IÂve had tae resort tae a strict oatmeal-only diet. Unfortunately, IÂve been huvin a wee bit ae a problem swallowin handfuls Âo the stuff which is awfy dry and sticks in yer throat. I tried chasin it wae a wee dram, but thereÂs ony so much whisky a mon can drink, ye ken? So in desperation ah flung some oatmeal in tae that Epicurious recipe and lo and behold it turned in tae a delicious glutinous appetizing dinner, can ye believe it! Thanks Epicurious. IÂll be tossin ma caber fer years tae come.

nefer-teary from karnak on 07/03/02
    The ritual embalming process of us ancient egyptians utilized some of the best saline secrets that are only now being uncovered, so to speak. Might want to consider adding a little frankinsense and myrhh to the recipe.

A Cook from Washington, DC on 07/10/02
    I too, did something wrong. I thought I'd try to give it a smoky flavor, and attempted to make this one on the grill. Big mistake! The coals went out, and the water evaporated. Unless you're an expert, don't substitute/add/delete any steps.

A Cook from Louisiana on 07/11/02
    I left this to boil for a couple of hours - the recipe didn't really specify. Well, someone in my family must have really loved it, because when I went back to check, the pot was totally empty!! The guilty party won't 'fess up, but I'll definately make it again!

A Cook from AZ on 07/15/02
    How perfect! My in-laws are very picky eaters. At last, I've found a dish with ingredients that won't offend them. This will become a staple in our house!

• big_mike
    18 years ago

I tried the low sodium method. It was kind of bland, almost tasted like hot water!!

• tedp2
    18 years ago

At one table spoon per gallon of water that already IS low sodium. It you want smoke flavor use Hickory Smoke salt.
    I liked the Evian spelled backwards line. It is sooo true.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022