Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottonpicker_gw

Remember your wedding ceremony??

cottonpicker
18 years ago

Tomorrow's our 29th. anniversary & the day brings back a memory of the ceremony. My wife's father who traveled here from Hong Kong for the wedding, marched her down the aisle "to give the bride". He didn't understand or speak one word of English but she told him what to expect during the ceremony and when the minister asked, "who gives this woman to..." she would nudge him & he was to answer. So at that point in the ceremony, she nudged him and right away, loud & clear, he proudly answered, "Dolla, dolla"...meaning it's OK! Care to share your favorite memory?

Comments (21)

• lumierefrere
    18 years ago

Yeah. I sure do remember. It was in the justice of peace's basement. I was in my barn clothes, I crossed my fingers behind my back, it was over, she asked if we wanted a drink, we said no. I went back to the barn and finished my chores.

Do you want me to remember the divorce, too? That was a lot more exciting!

Can I tell you about my neighbor's wedding? He went to a justice of the peace, too, and there was a picture of Jesus on the wall. The guy looked at him and asked "Are you Jewish?" Steve said yes so the guy went over to the picture of Jesus and flipped it over so Moses was visible, then the ceremony proceeded apace.

Barb

• big_mike
    18 years ago

Congrats on 29 years of marriage. We celebrated number 31 in January. Looking back, the wedding wasn't overly event filled. I do remember spending more time polishing the chrome wheels on my car than getting myself ready. Then after the reception, I remember shaving cream smeared all over my freshly shined wheels.

I'm saying that assuming I'm married. You see, the preacher who did the ceremony also presided over my in-laws' wedding, which means he was quite elderly. Upon signing the certificate, somebody signed in the wrong place and he told us that he'd get another one for us in a week or so. A week turned into a month and he passed away!
    We do have our wedding book that was signed by everyone and the license, so I GUESS we can prove our wedded bliss.

• cottonpicker
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Barb & big mike... good stories. Thanks for sharing!! Hope to hear from others... it's fun to look back!
    LD

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

I'd rather not.....

• woodenzoo
    18 years ago

lol
    The joys of being single...
    :)
    Cathy

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

I remember mine...nice church wedding. The friend who was supposed to videotape didn't show up...so no tape. Just photos.

My future brother-in-law got me so drunk the night before I was pretty fuzzy headed the day of the wedding. I told the minister to take it slow with the vows. He did...about every 2 words he stopped for me to repeat...If folks didn't know me they probably thought I was a little, uh, ...slow. My brain felt slow LOL.

We had the reception at a relatives house (outdoor pool, band, etc.) Tornado warnings were howling early in the day...but it turned out nice, if not too cool to swim. I was more interested in getting out of dodge for the morning flight to Maui.

16 years this June. Time flies when you are having fun.

• tomstrees
    18 years ago

cottonpicker ~

not yet ~ but I'll keep this post "up to date" by 2007! lol ~ Tom

• cottonpicker
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tom.... all right!!!! Good luck!!
    Join the crowd..

LD

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

I wasn't there, but I saw this on video tape later on...
    The guys' limo is pulling up to the church, and there are fire trucks. You can here the guys all wondering what heck is going on.
    Then there is a fireman in the limo window explaining there was a fire in the church, but its out, and they are now in the process of cleaning up the church.
    You can hear my husband ask, "How long is it going to take?"
    The fireman replies, "About 45 minutes."
    To which my husband calmly says, "Do you think you can hurry it up? I'm getting married in a half hour."
    Then the tape cuts to another fireman on the church steps looking official saying," Well, I think it was sabotage on the part of the bride's family..."
    LOL!
    When I got to the church I had no idea what had happen. I did think it was odd that the windows were open because they never were.
    But if that church had burned down, I would of got married in the parking lot. I couldn't wait to get that day over with. I'm not a girlie girl, and it is too much planning and stress!
    Oh and Cottonpicker, All I remember about going down the aisle was my dad kept whispering to me to slow down,lol.

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Definitely remember the last one. We DID have a tornado! Did everything in reverse. Honeymoon for 3 weeks in Europe BEFORE the marriage. Back in the US for just long enough satisfy legal waiting requirements and plan events. Day began with our state representative conducting the late-afternoon wedding. (30 years before, he'd been my paperboy!) Almost straight from the wedding to a stock car track. Huge cake waiting there and there was going to be one beeeg party after the races! Time trials just nicely underway when it looked ugly in the west and the track announcer said that a tornado was on the ground and we are all out of here right now! 5 minutes later, we were in rain so heavy that I could never imagine that rain could be almost like being in water. That put the end to that big party. But wasn't long before my street was lined with dozens of race cars and their haulers. Kept wondering why my daughter wasn't showing up. She had a nice large wooded lot out in the country and lost almost all of her trees to the tornado!

Martin

• imisscolo
    18 years ago

Let me tell you a recent story. My MIL has dementia and lives in a home. My FIL died back in September he was 94 she 87. I went to SS to file for his Death bene and to file for his SSecurity. I had to have my Marriage Lisc and they asked for a copy of their Marriage lisc. I was like ok I will bring it back. I went to the courthouse here in town as they said they were married here in the church. I looked in all the old files??? NO RECORD. I called all the old relatives they said the same thing...they were MARRIED in our city in Georgia. I called all the counties aroung no record. I called back the relatives as SS was ADAMANT about proving they were married!!! Finally I got a call from my Mom who said why dont you check Alabama?? I was like if they got married here and had an Alabama Lisc that would not be legal... I decided to check. THEY not only had a Alabama Lisc they were married in Alabama 2 weeks before the real church date LOL!! My husband could not believe it. I said maybe they just couldn't wait!!

• tomstrees
    18 years ago

cottonpicker ~

Thanks !

~ Tom

• MrsJustice
    18 years ago

Congrats on 29 years of marriage too, from mrsjustice!!!

I thank God for my wonderful Husband all the time, and pray that God keep him safe when his is on assignment, Amen!!

• cottonpicker
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Mrs. Justice!

LD

• tedp2
    18 years ago

H____ no! That was almost 57 year ago. I seem to remember words like "Love, Honor, and Obey" but wifey says,"No way!" I tell her it wasn't legal anyway cause her brother, who signed affadavit that she was over 18 when we got the liscense, wasn't quite 21 and couldn't legally sign.

• ddsack
    18 years ago

Remember my wedding ceremony? Yes, I do! It was in December of 1973 and we had an appointment with a justice of the peace at 4PM in the afternoon with only my best friend and his as witnesses. The guys were both rabid football fans, and the Vikings were in a playoff game - must have been a Saturday. The game was running late, and it was with great regret that they finally tore themselves away from the tv and we sped along to the jp's barely getting there in time. We had not thought about rings, never have bothered to get any to this day. Which was not a big deal, since neither of us likes to wear jewelry anyway. Lots of way more interesting ways to spend money. 33 years soon and counting.

• cochiseaz8
    18 years ago

Boy, do I remember the ceremony!!! It was filled with my husbands buddy's yelling "Run, Roy, Run!!!.. It was held in a really special oak grove with a hand made rock alter and hand made rock and oak plank pews... The minister we involked for the ceremony was (believe it or not) the chaplin for the arizona prison system,,, He was wonderful!! sINCE MY HUBBY WAS CATHOLIC AND mE BEING pAGAN, he invoked both worlds, and blended OUR beliefs into a rite that satisfied the christians and godless heathens alike... Yes, That was a special day,,, Then we went to our house and had a whole roast pig (how pagan), and the blessing of marrige bestowed upon the crowd.. It was truly special,,, We have not stopped loving since 1991

• margaretmontana
    18 years ago

We just recently had our 45 anniversary. We got married at his aunt and uncles house with his grandparents standing up for us and his cousin made us a cake. Really poor but decided we could do just as well married as single. I knew the JP and made sure he said Love Honor and Cherish not Obey.

We were having dinner last week out as we have tried to do most years to celebrate our anniversary and he told the young waitress we were having our 45th Aniversary and she said really! How could you stay married for so many years. She said no one in her family stayed married more than a couple of years and some had been married 3 or 4 times. I told her we had a thing in my family - no divorce - it was marriage or murder and I didn't think I could get away with murder!

• luv2gardenoriginal
    18 years ago

Boy do I! It'll be a sweet 16 years ago this June, and seems like it was last week!
    At the rehersal, the pastor had a fit because I had four different readers. I got this lecture about only two, because he wanted everything "perfect, perfect" as he snapped his fingers. I explained that my readers were also readers/ministers at their own Church and it would be fine. I won.
    As we went down the isle, you could hear his fingers snapping, making certain that everyone was at a proper pace.

My brother would not come to the wedding, and my friends who drove all the way from Phoenix,her husband walked me down the aisle. I was so excited and kept hearing those finger snappings, that I started down the aisle on the wrong song. I forgot to wait for Cannon in D. I walked down to "Today while the blossoms"...I guess I was in a hurry to get to my future hubby, as he stood there crying his little brown eyes out. I understand his brothers told him he didn't have to do this if he was going to cry about it!
    During the "perfect" ceremony, all four readers didn't miss a cue. Then, the pastor lost his place in the book. He kept turning pages looking for where he was supposed to be. You could hear fingers snapping from my maid of honor. We almost broke up with laughter! He made another boo-boo in the ceremony, and again, Jenny started snapping her fingers!
    We took off from the church in a red & white vintage 60's Chevy convertible from a friend of ours. What a gas! Plenty of tin cans and hubby's old army boots.
    The reception was held at a lovely Polish restaurant. Just over 100 people. My friends were all upset because when they got there with hudred of balloons, the hall had not been cleaned from the night before!
    It all worked out. The food was served family style and didn't stop coming. Roast chicken, beef,ham, whipped potatoe, green beans with almonds,sausage & kraut, and I forget what else.
    People are STILL talking about the food today. They never had such a good meal at a wedding.
    So yes, I remember my wedding ceremony...I'd do it over again, but the pastor has since died : ) Wonder if St. Peter snapped his fingers when he arrived?
    Cheers,
    Mickey

• shelly_and_roy
    18 years ago

Yep. Roy took me to be his "wuf"--for some reason, his voice had no air on "wife" and you can clearly hear it on the videotape. :-) It gets mentioned by one or the other of us every year and it'll be 16 years in May.

Of course, before the ceremony, I was briefing our ushers on what to do if my mother and siblings showed up. One brother had caused problems (by ditching my grandmother who had just had knee replacement surgery) at the rehearsal dinner the night before and there was no telling whether my mother, who hadn't spoken to me in 7 months, was going to show up with my 3 siblings and cause a scene or not. (Heaven forbid I get married, in a church, with no booze or dinner at the reception, and be happy about it!)

So, our poor ushers were instructed on how to handle my mother and siblings if they showed up, depending on what time they showed up and in what state of mind. The instructions "call the cops" and "block them from entering the sanctuary" were carefully given, but fortunately didn't have to be used. They didn't show up, for which we were all very grateful.

So, the ceremony went beautifully, and we're still happily married, naysayers be darned.

Shelly

• SirTanon
    17 years ago

Yup.. sure do remember the wedding.. It was just last weekend :D

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County