Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earl_gw

Problem reading thread posts

earl
18 years ago

For some reason I started having problems reading posts. The forum comes up fine as does the threads but when I click on a thread it acts like it's going to load but it won't. This is the only place I'm having the problem. So until I figure this out, I won't be able to post.

Comments (11)

• hortist
    18 years ago

probably choking on all these crap ads!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Earl,

I have a similar situation. When I click on the 'Special Instructions for the Exchange', on 'some' exchange forums, the page just does a split second blink. It was suggested to me to try it with another browser, and then I found it worked.

I found the snaffu was with Netscape, though I hadn't had any problems or noticed anything like it b4.

So...you might try a different browser and see if you can then join in the fun here.

Sue

• fusion_power
    18 years ago

Get FireFox and kiss most of those problems goodbye.

Fusion

• popepaul
    18 years ago

I agree with Fusion. Get FireFox, then add Adblock to it. FireFox is a much better, faster, and more secure browser. It also has some great add-ons, like Adblocker.
    -Paul

• jtcm05
    18 years ago

You guys have to move on from internet explorer and microsoft. Get firefox!!

• bully
    18 years ago

Another suggestion would be to do like I did and download firefox and surf the web with that instead of Internet explorer.

Iv'e watched my last ritz commercial!!

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

If you are using IE then go to google and download there latest toolbar. It kicks ass. Even has a spellchecker that will check your posts for you. Take note chikko.
    I don't have to many problems with the adds with this toolbar loaded and the no popups enabled.

• gonefishin
    18 years ago

I too, was very reluctant to change browsers and get away from what had served me so well over the years, and I know that this is redundant, but I finally downloaded FireFox for free and eased into it with I.E. still as my default browser and netscape there also if I needed it. It did not take long to learn to use FireFox and see the many advantages to it. You do not lose all your bookmarks or favorites, it just works them right in.
    They have a ton of free extensions like adblocker that you can download to enhance your surfing pleasure and experience. The script blocking thing is a real boon, I was reluctant to turn scripts off which allows most of that intrusive, aggravating crap, but that part is easy to use. Right now there is a little tool bar at the bottom of my screen showing scripts currently forbidden and an option area that I can click on to make several choices to either allow, or temporarily allow G.W. and several of those advertising companies that do the harm. If I temporarily allow them, (which I rarely do except on sites where I need that to shop or something) it adds more interactive functionality until I leave the site, then shuts them off again, and you do not have to be computer savvy enough to go into your settings etc. to manually turn them off and on. It took awhile to get things just right, but now I do not see any of that irritating crap that intrudes, seldom ever see any thing in the right margin, and since it is all blocked off it does not bog your computer down loading up all that crap.
    I have high speed broadband, and all that junk was even slowing it down and making for a miserable visit to G.W. I can just imagine what it does to those on dial up connections.
    Just a few tricks that an old dog learned easily, once I had enough of the advertising crap. My redundant .02
    Bill P.

• nancyw
    18 years ago

Actually I started having the same problem earl mentioned, about a week ago, not with every thread though; maybe one in four. no computer whiz here but am a Mozilla foxfire user. nancy

• squeeze
    18 years ago

if it persists, and isn't just an instance of the ad server being overloaded, which happens, first thing to do is to clear the browser cache and history - then shut down the browser and re-open it - depending on your system the most likely problem is plugged up memory

and the VERY best browser is Opera, Firefox is just an IE clone w/ the same problems under a few add-ons :)

Bill

• gonefishin
    18 years ago

I will surely have to disagree with you on your very last statement on this one Bill, but it is not worth arguing over. Everyone should use what works best for them and what they are happy with.
    Bill P.