Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldroser

Would you pay $100,000. for five more months?

oldroser
18 years ago

Genentech says they plan to charge that much for a drug which extends the life of colon cancer patients for about five months on average. And says that it doesn't cost a lot to make the drug but it's worth it to live that much longer.

I don't have $100,000. but I'd agree with the patient who declined the medication and says it isn't worth it.

What do you think?

Story was in the NY Times business section today. With picture of old codger who is turning it down.

Comments (16)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

The assumption here is that there are no other treatments available to a given patient.

So as long as the pain from colon cancer could adequately be controlled, I'd turn it down as well for a 5 month extension of life, such as it would be with a Dx of terminal cancer.

Carolyn

• jimm_sc
    18 years ago

I'll let you know after tonight's lottery drawing. Short of winning that the answer woud be no. If I win the answer would be maybe. Depends on what kind of health I was in otherwise.
    Jim

• rxkeith
    18 years ago

it all depends on the individual. on average is just that, an average. some people will live longer than that, some people won't. people with terminal cancer have nothing to lose, and some will grab at any chance for a cure or remission. if i'm an old codger, it might not be worth it to me. if it happened to me now, well, i have a son thats 20 months old. i'd fight the good fight before giving up.
    every day with him is priceless.

keith in calumet

• bully
    18 years ago

I'd pay it and put it on my credit card...;-)

• suze9
    18 years ago

Sounds like bully has a platinum card.

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

You folks apparently don't remember me mentioning Bullys' summer house in the south of France...or me walking behind him picking up stray U.S. currency falling out of his pockets and the last two D.A.T.E. tomato parties!!

100k pfffffffffff.

Chump change for Bully-mon!

Duane

• tedp2
    18 years ago

I'd think loooong and harrrrd about it first but probably would. After all I'd be going soon and couldn't take it with me so, why leave it for heirs to squabble over?
    My heirs keep telling me I should be living high on the hog since I can't take it with me and shouldn't leave it for them to fuss about.
    I tell them I ain't ready to go yet and I want to be sure it lasts as long as I do.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Well now, upon rethinking the situation based on some above posts, if Bully would make an outright gift to me of 100K I'd pay and spend, again assuming that I was not in a lot of pain.

Yes, I could pay for it myself , but why should I when I'm single with only two cat kids and relatives who really don't need what I might leave them in a will, which BTW I must update, so yes, I'd greatfully accept the gift of 100K from Bully. ( smile)

What say there Bully, you've got my home address, my direct e-mail, b'c I just was informed by someone that what they sent me thru GW mail never got to me, and I'll be sitting in front of this computer waiting for your reply by e-mail, or a public pledge here, or waiting each day for my mailperson to deliver your check to me, or waiting for Tom, my friendly UPS man to come, or the Fed-ex ground or Fed-ex air or the DHL, nee Air-borne express, persons to ring my bell, as it were, to deliver your check or money order and accompanied with a gift of heirloom tomatoes if the season so allowed. (smile)

Carolyn

• LandArc
    18 years ago

Gotta say, if any of you have ever gone through the cancer experience with minimal insurance, $100,000 is not that much more than what an uninsured (or underinsured) person could end up facing. Still, I don't know that I would pay it, unless they are quality months.

There is something slightly reprehensible about the idea that the medicine is cheap to make but, they're gonna charge a lot just because people will pay it. Or at least the fact that they are willing to say that openly. I am a capatilist at heart, but, something about htis feels wrong

Bob

• suze9
    18 years ago

There is something slightly reprehensible about the idea that the medicine is cheap to make but, they're gonna charge a lot just because people will pay it. Or at least the fact that they are willing to say that openly. I am a capatilist at heart, but, something about htis feels wrong

I hear ya, Bob...

• big_mike
    18 years ago

For 5 months, no. Unless I felt that I could do something with my life in those 5 months that could change someone else's life for the better. But for 5 months of just waiting to die, no. I have a far better place to be.

This reminds me of a fellow a number of years ago before life insurance companies got to be a little more discerning. He was told that he was dying of some malady which I don't remember right off. He came in and bought a new truck. Then went down the street and bought a new boat. Then he went to the Honda store and bought a new motorcycle. He financed them all and put credit life insurance on all of them. Six months later, much to his dismay, he didn't die. He went broke, lost all his toys, and ruined his credit, but he lived.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

For me it would just depend on what part of the tomato growing season it was.

If it was spring I'd probably want to stick around.

If it was fall, I'd wouldn't waste the money, but would know that someone (DBF?) would be $100,000.00 happier once I was gone.

Sue

• bully
    18 years ago

Ha ha Duane you are a beauty and I was just thinking how nice it was to have you back too.
    Guess who's strolled down the Champs Elysees for the last time LOL
    {{gwi:1279081}}

Anyone that can answer the same BER question for the 786th time with grace patience and detail would most certainly get the money from me.

• annschickenfarm
    18 years ago

I would guess that if I had the money and wouldn't be leaving my family in debt I would pay for 5 more months,pain free of course.If I was in pain then no.I'd pay anything to have more time with my son,and my dad too!
    Ann.

• chervil2
    18 years ago

The cost of the drug is $667 per day which is a bargain compared to a bed in a hospital these days. I imagine that once this drug is made overseas in countries such as India or China the cost will drop. However, hospital bed rates are likely to continue rising faster than inflation. If this drug keeps patients out of the hospital I am sure that insurance will cover it. We have transitioned to a culture that uses drugs to extend our lives more than hospitalization care.

Chervil2

• rxkeith
    18 years ago

remember that old saying

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    colon cancer can be prevented.
    colon cancer caught early enough is treatable
    and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.
    the internet is a great thing. all the info you need to know is out there. causes, prevention, detection, risk level. learn what you can do to protect yourself.

keith in calumet

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource