Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winnjoe

tomato lovers not growing this year

winnjoe
18 years ago

a)why not, and b) what are you doing to compensate?

a)I'm moving, and b) exploring the world of mood stabilizers

Comments (12)

• big_mike
    18 years ago

One way or another, I WILL grow tomatoes. The only thing that would stop me is my death. And even then, I'm hoping God has a taste for BLT's. I'd gladly give Him my tithe in Heavenly tomatoes.

• jan_z8
    18 years ago

Hi winnjoe,
    I emailed you, but I'm not convinced GW emails go anywhere anymore! Hope it gets to you.

May I send you seeds of Tumbler (F2 or 3) or Red Robin or even Sophie's Choice, so you can have tomatoes that move with you?

Wishing you all the best in your changes,
    Jan

• winnjoe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jan, no I didn't get anything from you. I tried emailing you through GW - did you get it? Joe, Winnipeg

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

a)why not, and b) what are you doing to compensate?

a) Why not? Not raising seedlings b'c my first surgery for the new left hip is scheduled for May 31 and the second for spinal surgery 2-3 mo later, depending on how the post op period goes for the hip.

b) compensating? Martha, who posts here and at Tville as well, graciously offered to send me some plants of whatever varieties I wanted so I wouldn't be without some fresh tomatoes this summer. I will have to hire someone to plant and care for them and also harvest them for me.But I will NOT be tomatoless for the first time in I can't tell you how many years, I will NOT. ( smile)

Carolyn

• jan_z8
    18 years ago

Hi Joe,
    I got your email --in my "junk" folder! But I retrieved it and replied to it yesterday. Look for mine under "junk" too! It should go through, because it's the same "company" as yours. If not, I'm skylark888 there.

Carolyn, glad to hear that you have a "date!" and it's not so far off. I'll go looking for one of your health threads --here or Tville-- to find out the details: who's caring for the cat kids, etc. I can only just begin to imagine some of the mixed feelings you must be having!!!

~jan

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Carolyn, If you weren't all the way across the state, I would come plant for you : )
    I plant my grandmother's tomatoes now. Her spinal stenosis(I think I told you about it before) is really bad. But she has to have her tomatoes!

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Carolyn, If you weren't all the way across the state, I would come plant for you : )

And then drive back and forth to weed and water and fertilize them? LOL

I think not, but I appreciate the thought.

I'm going to call the woman who does my lawn first, and see if she will do it. She's already committed to cleaning out the raised bed of last year's debris as well as the pots out there, and I know she's eager for money since she lost her husband last year and was left with little resources.

She's also my handywoman and a great one at that. Her father was a plumber and electrician and for most minor things she's great.

I'll be setting up schedules for cat kid maintenance persons as well, so I think what gets planted out there will do OK until I can get home from rehab and make calls if the plants do need help.

And if my lawn lady can't do it, my young friend who brings me fish, fruit and flowers from Price Chopper where she works is another good prospect. My regular grocery shopper person shops at IGA and they are woefully lacking in good fruit and fish.

Right now I'm putting together lists of this and that that have to be done, especially after my PT person told me that for two months after the new hip my knees must be lower than my hips at all times, so that list is a work in progress as well. Sigh.

Right now I don't even want to think about the possible spinal surgery for stenosis and a spinal synovial cyst to come later in the summer. Double Sigh.

Carolyn

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Carolyn,
    LOL, I said nothing of weeding and watering!
    And if the comment about good fruit is for me to bring stuff from work(Wegmans produce), now you're really pushing it! : )
    Seriously though, It is good you have a few prospects lined up. It will all work out in the end.
    If it doesn't you'll just have to use Winnjoe's plan B, lol.

• winnjoe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jan, unless you've got a real interesting side-line going on, that is indicated in the subject heading, I have not gotten anything from you. try ej_mroz (at) yahoo.ca

Carolyn, for 5 years I've tried to get my school staffed with flying robot monkeys. I even got a student to design them for me. I would love to send some to you, programmed to do your will on the plants and the garden, but unfortunately there are still a few bugs in my plans. winnjoe (as the underpants gnomes say, 'step one, steal underpants. step three, big profits')

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

unfortunately there are still a few bugs in my plans

Well for heaven's sake Joe, get them IDed and use the appropriate organic or inorganic products to debug them. LOL

Carolyn, who will tonight in her dreams no doubt have visions of flying monkies rather than visions of sugar plums dancing in her head.

• winnjoe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn, was that 'monkies' a Freudian slip? Joe

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Carolyn, was that 'monkies' a Freudian slip? Joe

Nope, I just temporarily forgot how to spell monkeys. LOL

Carolyn